Sunday 20 December 2015

I’m not a saint but… —Sexy Winger

Omokehinde Mary Bankole, popularly known as Sexy Winger, is one of the fast rising actresses in the Yoruba speaking movie industry. The young lady, who is also the CEO of Sexy Winger Collections, in this interaction with SEYI SOKOYA, speaks on how she has been able to manage her businesses and acting career successfully. Excerpts:


Foray into acting
I have always had passion for acting since my tender age, precisely when I was in secondary school. I belonged to a drama group back then. So, it was easy for me when I grew up to go into acting; and I have never regretted joining the industry.

How I have been able to push my acting career through

It has been through God’s grace. The journey has been interesting and awesome. I thank God for helping me to make a headway among my peers. I would say I am currently paying my dues and have learnt a lot in the industry. There are lots of opportunities in the industry and I have been able to tap into them. In fact, I have not restricted myself to acting alone; I have also discovered my talent in make-up artistry and costuming. The truth is that if I am not acting, I am at the back of the camera doing my thing.

Life as a make-up artiste

To me, it is one of the integral parts of acting. It is not absurd, I find pleasure in doing this too. It has been bringing food to my table asides acting. I have really demonstrated my expertise on this field. I don’t see it as stress or a hard thing to do. It has also created a bond between me and my colleagues.

Other businesses I do for a living
I also run a wine business. It is not as if I am showing off, but it is out of enthusiasm to establish myself in my own way. This will also serve as another means of income for me because I don’t want to become a liability to anybody. I thank God that the business is growing fast and I pray it expands in no time.

Why actors venture into other businesses aside acting

Honestly, it is a welcome idea. We really need it, especially for the serious minded ones among us. Acting business is no longer reliable. We need to support it with other legitimate means. Piracy is also a major factor that is killing the industry. Our movie sales are no longer encouraging compared to what it used to be. This is why you find many people in this industry venturing into one business or the other to have something else to fall back on. We have to make moves for other sources of income. As I said earlier, I run my own businesses aside acting, I am the CEO of Sexy Winger Collections where I am into make-up and wine business. I am a trained make-up artist. I also have a wine store in the heart of Ibadan.

How I have been able to combine all these without any clash

I have stayed focused and refused to give space for distraction and God has been seeing me through in whatever I lay my hands upon. The funny thing is that I could be a make-up artist on a particular set and at the same time act too. I just thank God that I have been able to do a perfect job so far.

Challenges
I don’t see challenges as a barrier or excuse not to push my career through. It surfaces everywhere, especially when someone will eventually become successful in a particular endeavour. The job is interesting and challenging at the same time, but I still derive joy from it and I am convinced that I will be successful someday. It is a normal thing for everyone, it is not peculiar to a particular class or sex. All human beings experience one challenge or the other; it only depends on how one tackles and overcomes it. As for me, I stay focused and refuse to be distracted whenever I come across any challenge. I also want to appreciate my mentors, especially Dr Muyiwa Ademola for his words of encouragement during the time of difficulties. I can boldly say that I am up to the task today with the help of God and well-meaning people that surround me.

Assessment of the industry

To me, I feel the industry is okay, but still needs some improvement and innovation. It is remarkable that we have witnessed a great development as well as produced more emerging stars. Though, there are still some excesses, I believe it can be worked upon. Personally, I am not a saint but I am decent. Also, I am not in a rush for fame.

How I deal with promiscuous actors

I have never met one and I can’t conclude or say that actors are promiscuous. I can’t speak for others, but as for me, it is a no and I would not encourage such, because I don’t give room for any rubbish or mess of such. Though it is no longer news that many things happen in the industry, I am a reserved person and that is me. I also want to say that this is not only peculiar to the industry; it happens everywhere. I think we need to show more decency and maturity in our industry. We need to protect our image for a better future.

My take on the insinuation that actresses offer themselves willingly

No, it is not true. On the other hand, I can’t talk about others, because I concentrate more on myself. I don’t follow the crowd. So, whatever they do is none of my business. In fact, even as an actress, I can never act nude. Acting shouldn’t turn us to be crazy people. I repeat, I can’t act nude, but I can only be good looking, sexy and hot. Yes. I can do whatever it takes for me to look good. That is why I do shopping almost every month, because I crave to dress sexy.

Films I have to my credit
I have featured in movies like: Akoba Gafara, Igboya, Mimo, Igba,  Wakati, Obuko, among others. My movies, such as Ayanmo Ife, Asise Ko, Iyanje, Ife Oju,  also gave me fame. At present, I am working on a multimillion naira film production. I pray that God will help me.

Coping with competition

I am not competing with anybody. I love and respect everyone’s ideology and expertise in the industry. One thing about me is that I love to say the truth, no matter the situation. As I said earlier, I am not a saint but I am decent. This statement is best known to me, because no one knows it all.

How I handle my male admirers
That has to do with the wisdom of God. You know that we are all humans and we are prone to temptations, but I have been able to manage them well, because I have a lot of male friends around me. In fact, I love to make friends with them than the females. This is because they are understanding.

My kind of man
I desire a God-fearing, responsible, loving and caring man who is cute, handsome and chocolate in complexion.

Life as a career woman

To be candid, I can’t leave my career for any man. This is not a matter of being rude or harsh, but I have to reveal some facts about this. The opposite sex also needs our support, especially in the home front. Aside this, it is ideal for any woman to have something doing one way or the other. My man and I understand one another and we have both agreed on how to manage our home. My man loves me and my job.
My friends in the industry

I don’t have or keep friends with anyone in the industry. It is not as if I have a grouse about or fight with anyone, but I prefer to laugh or associate with anyone that comes my way if need be, and later go my own way, because some people backbite a lot. Though, we still have some good people in the industry, I have realised that keeping friends does not add to me and I can do well without them. The funny thing is that those who presented themselves as being holy and decent are those that mess themselves up. Personally, I don’t pretend or like to live a fake life; I know my worth. I don’t have to join the league of pretenders before I can make a statement. This is why there is competition in the industry and it is uncalled for. This has generated a lot of problems which are affecting the industry negatively. I don’t spoil people, but they should keep on watching all I do, till I get to my destination, while I will leave them behind. I am more interested in my achievements in life and not the showbiz aspect. I also see it as madness when people claim unnecessary seniority in the industry. Many actresses do fight over that, but I see it as madness. I don’t have to be forced to respect anyone. I could even give regards to someone that I am older than and call a person that is older than me by name. As for me, I don’t care whoever calls me by my name. I am not bothered. However, I am a nice, loving and calm lady, but I don’t tolerate nonsense.


My relationship with Muyiwa Ademola

He’s my boss. It is a boss and student relationship; no strings attached. I have benefited a lot from him and he has really helped my career. He is one of the professionals in the industry that is interested and ready to support the upcoming ones through his platform. I am one of his students. I respect him a lot, because he has helped us to scale through so many hurdles.

Growing up
I am from Ogun State. I am a twin and the last born from a family of six children. I have an interesting family. I grew up at Abule Egba, Lagos, but my parents are now based in Ibadan. My twin sister is fine and life as a twin has been sweet and peaceful. She is Oluwadarasimi Taiwo Bankole; we love each other and serve as blessings to the Bankole family. She is not into acting; she runs a boutique.


No comments:

Post a Comment