Saturday 10 October 2015

It is a task formen to admire me---IyaIbadan

Chelsea Coker, popularly known as Iyaibadan, is a fast-rising comedian, who also has passion for acting. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the Ogun State born mother of one speaks on her love for comedy and other issues. Excerpts:

How I have been able to combine comedy, acting and compereIT has never been difficult at all. It dignifies and showcases my competence and expertise. I love what I do and also have pleasure in it, aside the fact that I’m a student of Arts. My passion for acting has also made me study to become a professional actress. However, all the roles are related, and they helped me work better. So, they do not clash.


How I discovered that I could do these for a livingI have always had a knack for performances since my teenage years. More importantly, the history of Ibadan remains relevant today, regardless of the continued rise of the Western culture. People like to be reminded of these things, even if they shy away from them. So, I bring fun in a message and serve it in rich Yoruba culture.

The journey so farIt has been nothing but fun. The love, feedback, ups and downs; all of these have been fun to me. I guess that’s why I’m here. I love what I do.

On which came firstOrdinarily, I am a funny person, and a public speaker. Tell me, what comes first? The chicken or the egg? Honestly, it is not about which came first but how I have been able to explore my talents in these fields of profession.

How lucrative comedy isTo be candid, the comedy job is now lucrative, especially with the new face and the massive turn around it received unlike before. The era that comedy is seen as a lazy or shoddy profession is gone as it has grown massively and has produced lots of talents who have become hot cakes in the industry. For me, the word, lucrative, is relative. I’ll say I’m happy and contended with the income. Also, I am giving all my best to raise my game in the industry. I have been in the game a few years back. I would say I have just started, because I still have a lot to deliver.

ChallengesThe major challenge is the fact that my audience is limited to people who understand Yoruba language. Meanwhile, we are working to expand the scope so that everyone can be involved, because we realise that there are different audiences and we have to reach out to different people.  On the other hand, most times, we are described as lazy or seen as unserious person, but we cannot run away from the fact that, sometimes, it is good to be seriously unserious, because all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

What I would have become if not comedyI guess I would have become an investment banker or found myself doing one thing or the other in the entertainment industry.

Qualities of a comedianResearch and testimonies have proved that we comedians have immensely impacted into people’s lives. Aside the fact that we are seen as unserious human beings, we heal people’s wounds, pains and problems without drugs. We achieve this with our sense of humour, experience, researches and above all, through our God-given talents. It is a welcome development that the Nigerian entertainment industry, over times has produced many respected comedians who are doing the country proud both at home and abroad. I think the major qualities of a professional comedian are: confidence, exposure, consistency, feasibility and sense of humour, among others. If any aspiring comedian could attain these qualities, I am convinced that they will excel in this career.

How I intend to raise my gameIt is no more news that comedy in Nigeria has become a lucrative job and has witnessed a huge success as a result of talents it has produced irrespective of gender. As a professional, I believe that the most important competitive advantage any human has is his/her uniqueness and brand. I have full knowledge of how I go about my things. This dignifies me from another comedian. The industry is spacious for many people to showcase their talents without any hitch. As I said earlier, I will not rest on my oars to raise my game, because we are in a competitive industry.

How I intend to carve a niche in a male-dominated industryIf it is a man’s world, how did man get into the world? For me, I don’t see that as an excuse to withdraw from what I have passion for, because I have built a career in the profession for years. We produce these men and they should not be a threat to us whatsoever. I think it makes the industry more interesting having both male and female comedians cracking people’s ribs. My brand is unique and thrilling, especially my temporary tribal mark. It really depicts my brand and my style of comedy.

Assessment of the industryI have already said it all. We are getting there. Comedians or compere are important at every event, even outside entertainment. It is really an awesome development and we are glad that this is happening. But I also want to urge my colleagues not to rest on their oars in bringing more innovation into the industry. As for me, IyaIbadan a.k.a Iyamuse, I have my brand and I am determined to develop it in no time.
On my style of comedyAs an individual, I believe in innovation, and my audience should be ready to embrace change. I will continue to evolve and I do not see any limitations in whatever I know how to do best. I believe success is a journey and not a destination. I am certainly on that journey.
How I draw inspirationI stay connected with reality of life, events, people, culture, beliefs, etc.

How I combine career and frontIt has been a challenge indeed. But God’s favour has been sustaining me. I am a loving and dedicated mother to my special son.

How I handle my admirersI admire them back; all of them, because it is a task admiring me. (Laughs)

How I maintain my light skinI don’t think that I have to spend fortune to maintain my fair skin. The secret is that,I always take my bath regularly; I shower, at least, three times in a day.

TattooI would not want to reveal this. I think my tattoo and where I wear it should be personal.

Take on provocative dressingsI prefer to be silent about this because I am not a moral analyst. I know what is good for me as well as conscious of what I always put on.





No comments:

Post a Comment