Saturday 10 October 2015

What I share with St Janet—Queen Funmi

Gospel singer, Atewogbola Funmilola , popularly described as Queen Funmi by her fans, has carved a niche for herself with her Juju style of music. The Lagos-based chubby singer shares her experience in the male-dominated music industry in this interaction with SEYI SOKOYA.

HOW I discovered my talent for music
MUSIC is not strange to me. I derive joy whenever I deem it fit to sing. It has been part of me since my tender age. Precisely, I started singing in my dad’s church when I was 10. I would say I have passion for music right from childhood and it is a great joy that I developed myself in it and I
took it up professionally, not only that, I have also used it to affect lives positively. I am proud to be among the musicians to be reckoned with in the industry. I thank God for how far he has brought me and my band.

Challenge

To be candid, it wasn’t that easy in the beginning, but I thank God for the grace and wisdom to sustain and overcome all challenges. Though, I would describe these periods as a stage in my music career and the fact that it was one of the ways to pay my dues. I had a lot of free shows, because we were not known then and we were eager to be known. Most times, we even rented instruments to events despite the fact that we were aware that we won’t be paid. But the story has changed now. The era of free shows are over; we now get paid for whatever service we render. We perform at all kinds of events and we have received several commendations and recognitions. I am convinced that this is just the beginning for more success. My greatest joy is that people always want to dance to my music both at home and abroad. Our fans always want more whenever we mount the stage because we give them the best of entertainment.

Why juju gospel
 I think I am more comfortable in this aspect of music. I have been able to carve a niche for myself in it. It may be difficult to many, but as for me, I flow and draw inspirations through it. What I do is not really different from other juju musicians such as the juju King Sunny Ade, the only difference is that I have been able to brand my music by adding gospel which I describe as juju music. I think the more reason I was able to achieve this is because I love it right from childhood. I listen to Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey and Sir Shina Peter; they are my mentors. I have never entertained any fear on whether I will eventually have a headway in this field, the coast is clear and God has really favoured me and surrounded me with good people in and outside the industry. This career has opened many doors for me. I feel honoured when K1 invited me to perform at his daughter’s wedding. I have also played for governors and kings. It is not that I am flaunting, but I think I deserve to thank God for this rare opportunity. In fact, a governor whom I won’t want to mention his name handed me over to one of his commissioners to always invite me for their events when he heard my music and I was invited to perform at his birthday party afterwards. One of the popular marketers, Olasco Films production listened to my works and signed me. He even confided in me that he would market my latest album entitled “Normal” which will be distributed both at home and abroad on audio and video.

Uncertainty whether I am a gospel singer or not
I am a gospel singer and I am happy at what I know how to do best. The fact that I infuse juju into gospel doesn’t make me to be described as a secular musician. We cannot all face a particular direction. There must be diversity in the industry. We can use any form or ways to explore our talents but the major thing is to pass the gospel message across according to the commandment of God. The combination of juju and gospel makes it juju gospel. It is not a different thing entirely I am a gospel musician; we perform at churches too and use our music to win souls. At present, I have five albums to my credit
.
Why I associate with secular musicians
I won’t subscribe to that. I love and respect people, especially the elders in the industry. I see everyone as one entity. I don’t think that should be discrimination because what we do is not different from one another. We need to embrace unity and peace irrespective of the genre of music. Everyone needs to be conscious of what they do or disseminate. I am a gospel singer and at the same time a member of the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN). I have a close relationship with both gospel and secular musicians. My brother, Mr Yinka Ayefele is a great gospel musician who has done excellently well with his genre of music, Tungba gospel. I featured him in my new album. He is a gospel musician too.

My relationship with Yinka Ayefele

As I said earlier, he is my good brother in the music industry. He likes me and I like him also. He’s so nice and always desires other musicians; especially the up-and-coming artistes unlike others. That does not indicate that I have problem with anyone. I am free with everyone, but we have to say some facts and also give kudos to those who meant well for others. Honestly, I don’t have problem with any musician.

My stage name

It came naturally. I realised each time I appear on stage, people call me Queen and it was gradually accepted by my fans. Now, they call me Queen of music. I think it is okay, because it is an indication that my music is accepted as well as have a great impact. This was how I got the name; I love to dress, sing and sing like a queen.

Take on the industry
Yes. I think things are in order now. The industry is really growing and a lot of musicians are making it, because we are being paid for the service we render. Most importantly, it is a welcome development that musicians no more fight one another; maybe because everybody is getting matured or engage with whatever will make them have a headway in their careers.


How have I been able to impact through my music
I preach through my songs, especially to the Christians.

Why I featured Ayefele and St Janet in my latest album

I featured Yinka Ayefele because of the fact that our style of music is related, coupled with the fact that he is my great brother in the music industry. Same thing also applies to Janet. In fact, we really sing alike. One can hardly differentiate us when we sing; I have heard that from people on many occasions. This is more reason I deemed it fit to feature these people in my new album entitled: “Normal”. More so, people will only differentiate us when we shoot the video because they describe her as Queen Funmi and sometimes call me Saint Janet.

On whether I also sing vulgar songs
Not at all; I know where you are driving at, there is no element of lewd song in what Saint Janet sang in my album; it was pure gospel. That is not allowed because this has to do with only gospel and because of the fact that I am not a fan of that kind of music. Queen Funmi is different.  We may be friends but that doesn’t give me the right to imbibe her style of music. To make it clear, I want to say that I personally composed all my songs including the one Ayefele sang in it. It is a simple thing; it is my idea and they honourably accepted it and followed what I wrote. I am deeply honoured for their gesture. I am convinced that her face or voice will have a positive impact in my new work. Don’t forget that God has His own way to make things happen for good. I see no reason why her other side should affect the job. Many people don’t even know that this person we are talking about is a very nice and respected musician.

My relationship with Saint Janet

She is my best friend ever and I love her so much. I call her my surest paddy. We are very close. A lot of people don’t know that she is very a humble and nice person. She is not promiscuous. Janet is very decent and cool. I love her because she has a good heart. We are not related but we are good friends and we share some similarities.

On whether my stature is a barrier to my music career

I have never been discouraged about my stature, rather I see it as a plus and an edge. I am big and beautiful. I carry myself very well, especially on stage. I don’t get tired easily. A slim person can’t do what I can easily do; I dance a lot and walk faster than my slim friends. They are even eager to be big like me. I really love my stature. Some people have even accused me that it is not natural, but I want to tell you that this is how I found myself and I know it is God. I don’t eat heavy meals or enlarge myself to this extent. I love my person; it even makes me obvious whenever I am on stage. My fans would easily sight me even from a far distance when doing my things on the stage unlike giving them stress to locate me on stage in midst of many. I know I draw people’s attention easily; I love my big stature, because it makes me conspicuous and also opens doors for opportunities.

On may be I crave for big things because of my stature

What do you mean by big things? If I would understand what you are trying to say I would say yes, I crave for big fashion items, accessories, and assets such as cars. I love big presents too (laughs).

Definition of style

I love being gorgeous and smart. I am always conscious of my mode of dressing, because it is a fact that you will be addressed with the way you are dressed. I am always happy when I am being admired with my outfit.

Beauty regimen

I love to look natural, because it is also healthy and gives comfort.

Choice of accessories
I love beads to a fault. It looks nice and elegant on me.
Favourite colour
I love red. I make one obvious and classy.

Favourite perfume
That should be my Versace. I don’t joke with it. The cologne is very nice and perfect for me.

Favourite designers
My watch, Longines Primaluna and as for clothes, I love to always wear Denim Copper stone.

Most expensive item in my wardrobe

My watch; I cannot reveal the price here for security reasons.

Fashion icons
Opera and Onyeka  Onwenu

Fashion item I cannot do without
My sun shade, bangle and my earrings; they protect as well as make me complete whenever I am good to go
 
Fashion item I won’t be caught dead wearing

I can’t be caught wearing nose ring even aside the fact that I am gospel artiste. I don’t like it and I cannot imagine what I would look like if I wear such. It is a no go area for me.

Greatest physical asset
I think this should be personal. You are too inquisitive. Would I tell you this? Okay it is my voice and that is the final answer.

Take on provocative dressings

For me, I don’t judge people. I believe everyone has their personal reasons to look or appear the way they choose to. Personally, I just wear anything that fits me.

Words to my fans

I want to use this medium to appreciate them. I pray God will keep blessing them. I love you all.

Growing up
I was as born and bred in Lagos. I attended Dee Unique Nursery and had my primary and secondary education at Abesan High School, Abesan Estate, Ipaja in Lagos and graduated from the Ekiti State University where I studied Business Administration. I am a native of Ilesha in Osun State.

How I handle my male admirers

It has been through the wisdom of God. I don’t fight them but rather handle it with care and respect.

On whether I am in a relationship

I am still single, but not searching. I am in a relationship and I would always cherish a God-fearing and caring man.










No comments:

Post a Comment