Tuesday 19 May 2015

Nigerians like to have money without working for it — Chief Ebenezer Obey

Music icon, Ebenezer Obey-Fabiyi, on Friday marked his 73rd birthday with a prayer session. In this exclusive interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the great-grandfather speaks on his life, national issues and secret behind his relevance in the music industry. Excerpts:

Congratulations on your 73 birthday, how do you feel attaining this age?

I feel so grateful to God for my life and all that He has done for me in the last 73 years. Looking back to my early days as I went from being a child to a man, a married man, having children and especially the magic things the Lord has done for me in my profession, honestly, I will continue to be grateful to God because when I was 40, it was a landmark in my life. I was also able to celebrate 50, then 60, until three years ago when I clocked 70, the light of God has continued to shine on me, even till now.


Considering your journey in life as well as your successful music career, will you say you are a fulfilled man?

I am very fulfilled indeed. If I take a summary of what God has done for me, for instance, in my music career, God gave me success and my success is something that I appreciate a lot because, as I struggled very early in life, God also answered me early  too by making me a star  at my prime, even till now. I have recorded almost hundred albums, be it as singles, extended plays and CDs, one has continued to be relevant. More so, I appreciate God for the gift of being a good composer. This has helped me to touch lives all over the world. God has been faithful to me since He called me into the ministry. The fact that He gave me an opportunity to serve Him has been awesome.

At 73, would you say you have attained all your aspirations in life?

Honestly, I will say at 73, I am contended. I thank God for all He had done for me. While I am grateful to God, I know He can still do anything. So, I am not closing my doors of expectation because I know God in His infinite mercy will take care of me.

Are you saying you are still expecting some thing from God?

No. I am not running after anything or in a rush to do anything whatsoever. I have submitted myself to the Almighty and my expectations from Him are according to His plan. One thing that I pray to do is to continue to win souls for Him.

You must have also had some regrets in life, could you share some with us?

No. I don’t have any regret whatsoever, because God has been so good to me. If a man is contented, he will always thank God.

Attaining this age, how would you describe life now?

In my early life, I was lucky to have been brought up by Christian parents. I grew up seeing them serve God. That upbringing prepared me for the future that I was able to handle different kinds of experiences in life.

Why did you not celebrate your 73rd birthday?

The most important thing is that I dedicated the day to God, but my church members, my children and some members of the family gathered here on Friday to pray and celebrate with me. Later, I went for an evening service, because it fell on Good Friday and I also ministered at a Christian programme.

You have been an influence in the music industry for decades, yet you have not shown any sign of tiredness, what is the secret?

Secret? None, I owe everything to God. Though it has not been easy, but divine guidance, discipline and determination are the major things that have been sustaining me. I cannot be tired neither will I quit music.

You perform regularly at social gatherings, do you really have time to rest?

You are right. Despite the fact that I perform at events often, I have been able to define my arrangements, especially to have full rest. I am really conscious of that, especially when age is telling on me. I cannot run away from the fact that I am not getting younger. But I thank God that not withstanding of my age, my voice is still intact and the band is also flourishing.

Older generation of musicians still command respect compared to the younger ones. How has this been possible despite the fact that they don’t produce popular songs as much as this generation of musicians?

Development and civilization, especially with technology, could be the major factor. We didn’t have access to what the children of these days are enjoying now at our own time. We were taught to use our brains and to work hard. According to African tradition, upbringing then was a collective effort. For instance, if you did something wrong as a child, people won’t wait for your parents or siblings to caution you and the absolute fear of parents and elderly ones was also there too. This, no doubt, helped virtually the children of those days to be wary of vices in the society. But it is sad that there is nothing of such in our society again and this has spoilt the children of this generation. They see all that as a means of pamper and I will not blame them because they didn’t undergo what we went through. Children of nowadays get everything on a platter of gold and that is why we have to be careful as a nation. If we are careless about this, I won’t be surprised that the country will be filled with lazy people. I have come to realise that Nigerians like making money without working for it. That is why a lot of our youths are poised to leave for America. You will be shocked at what they eventually do when they go overseas; they engage in all sorts of menial jobs, this is because the structure there does not give room for laziness. You will have to work for what you spend, but here in Nigeria, one can attain all his or her desires through any means. There is money and lots of opportunities in this country, but many don’t want to look for them. They rather prefer the easiest ways to make money. There are quite a lot of works here, but it is not for those who are lazy. A lot of people turn down menial jobs here saying they are graduates, but they have nothing to show for it. They eventually end up as okada riders. There cannot be enough bricklayers, carpenters and electricians among other various opportunities. These things are means of empowerment and very soon, these jobs will be more lucrative.

Hawaii is still relevant to your music, despite the advancement musical technology, why?

It is a beautiful instrument and very relevant in my music. I don’t think I need anything that will not add beauty to my music. It features prominently in my music and it is very important because it is playing a major role. However, other instruments are equally playing their prominent roles. Every instrument I use in my band is part of my music and there is no inspiration from none of them, because I am the author of my music and I am the one who leads them as well as give them inspiration or the direction I want them to go. I don’t derive inspiration from them they only derive from me.

How have you been able to manage your band?

It is through divine wisdom and discipline. They are collection of wonderful and talented brains.

As a Nigerian, would you say you are satisfied with the state of the nation?

I pray for the nation and most importantly that God should give us good leaders. Though we thank God for our leaders, but if we have leaders who can emulate the like of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, whose aim and objective was to make life better for the masses, especially on free education, health care services and many good things that Papa taught and did. Awolowo, Azikuwe, Tafawa Balewa and Sadauna were building a nation where no one would be oppressed. These people were poised in developing the nation and as a result of this, they were not poor. I urge today’s politicians to take a cue from these great leaders not by mouth, but by actions.

Could this be the main reason you refused to identify yourself with any politician, especially during this era of election unlike other celebrities in the country?

One thing I did as a principle is that I refuse to be a member of any political party, but I admire and respect some politicians, especially those who are selflessly rendering service. I do cast my vote for the party that I know has done something and will do something, but this year was an exception, because I don’t have the Permanent Voters Card (PVC). A lot of people knew that I love Papa Awolowo and I am not hiding it, because of what he stood for and the legacy he left behind, but the fact is that as a musician, more so, in my more active days, even till now, I have personalities and members of different political parties as my fans and friends. However, I think it is better for me to remain a musician than a politician.

What is your advice for the president-elect and Nigerians at large?

My advice is that we should all love one another. Our leaders need to deliver and be less concerned about themselves and more about the masses that God has made them to govern on. They should make life easy for the masses. There should be cohesion between the outgoing and incoming government so as to establish continuity and lasting growth. I urge the whole nation, especially the politicians to have a rethink in moving this country forward. We need to stop the fight and have a direction. I learnt that the whole West Africa is not up the half of India yet electricity will not click for one minute talk less of 24 hours. But this is one of our major challenges here. A lot of people are suffering because their businesses depend on power. We are just talking of rail here, when they now use fast trains in the overseas. There is lot of things Nigeria is lagging from, but I pray that God will help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment