Tuesday 19 May 2015

Why I shunned music —Rev Folarin, Obey’s son

Reverend Folarin Fabiyi-Obey is the son of the music maestro, Evangelist Ebenezer Fabiyi  Obey. Folarin is the senior pastor of Decross Gospel Mission Church based in Lagos. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, he speaks on the state of the nation and his relationship with his father.


AS a church founder, are you comfortable with the current state of the nation?
That Nigeria is going through all these challenges does not mean God is not with us; we are only passing through one phase or the other and it shall come to pass that this nation will be alright. Perfection will come; God will make room for us; we will become the envy of other nations and everything will be well. God works in processes. God will be glorified and all these ills and vices will disappear and the light of the mercy of God will shine, that I believe and this is nobody that can stop God.


Do you think the political giants in the nation will give room for this to manifest?
Nobody under the sun tends to dare God. The Bible says when God ordains quietness who is the man that makes trouble? Irrespective of administrations or political gimmicks, God’s purpose will be done. No political administration is permanent; God’s perfect will, definitely, will be done. It will be awesome if we allow God to use us to fulfill His glory.

What exactly do you think is responsible for all these?
So many things have gone wrong. Currently, I have a challenge and I am talking to families at the moment, especially parents. Parenting has failed in the entire world, especially in Nigeria. Parents are not doing what they ought to do; they no longer query or checkmate what their wards bring into the home. Parenting has failed and if the home front has failed then children will become vagabonds and that is what we are encountering today.

Are you saying that the church too has failed in its responsibilities?
That is another challenge that I have. The church of God has become worldly and the world has become religious. I want you to know that there is a Biblical code of conduct for ministers. It is a call and not a profession. It is high time we repented from our evil ways before it will be too late; the time to repent is now.

Did your dad influence you as a minister?
No. I was called into the ministry. My parents influenced me positively. God began to use me in the healing ministry at the age of eight and I really re-dedicated my life to Christ at age 13.

Are you the only pastor among Chief Commander Obey’s children?
No. I have two brothers who are pastors. My elder sister, Mrs Olaiy, a is also a pastor. My eldest brother is a deacon and a pastor; Tolu who is fully taking after daddy is also in the ministry. In fact, none of us is left out of the ministry.

But, you did not take after your father in the music aspect?
 (Laughs…) That is your own perception. It is in the blood. At some point, I was singing so much that people thought I was a musician; crowd started coming to church to hear me sing and I began to receive invitations to come and perform as a musician. Sometimes ago, I was invited to Dublin and I was called upon to come and sing. Instantly I told them I was not a singer, but a pastor. Though, I sang and I eventually preached, I think I am a better preacher than a singer. The truth is that it is in the family.

Why have you decided to establish your ministry here in Nigeria, unlike your brothers that have theirs abroad?
It is not like that. I am the senior pastor of the Decross Gospel Mission Church which is based here in Nigeria, but ministry wise, I think I have preached more abroad than Nigeria. I also have more audience than any of my brothers abroad in terms of preaching. I travel virtually every month to the UK. I prefer to go abroad to preach and come back home. I don’t have plans to live abroad. Nigeria is my home.

Among all the albums of your father which is your favourite?
I love virtually all my father’s works; but there are two of his songs that stir me. In those days, I cry whenever I listened to those songs because they touched me a lot.

Why is it difficult for the children of Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey to fill the void of Miliki juju music?
 There is no void. We have really taken after our father. As I said earlier, we have one way or the other taken from him. Tolu is a great singer; he sings just like Obey. There was a day my father came to my house and Tolu was playing in the next house. He asked me that who was playing and I replied him that it was Tolu. He heard Tolu and thought it was himself. Tolu now goes out to perform with him. He has become a perfect Juju maestro singer and master guitarist. Pastor Lanre plays and sings very well. This is a clear indication our father’s gift will never die.

It seems you love your dad more than your mum?
Why this question? No. I love my parents. My mum is late now and she was sweet and still strong in my memory, but I adore my father. My mother was a force; I liked her because she was a rock. My parents gave up so many things for me. My father precisely had made a lot of sacrifices for the actualization of what God wanted me to become. He didn’t change his mind about me despite the storms. He is a father that any child will adore. My father is an angel in human form; with the Godly inclination he has he still fathers his children. He is a godly man and patient with his children. I feel like shedding tears for the kind of father that I have. People cannot understand what I am saying now, but his children do. The instances are too numerous to mention. He won’t give up until he finds water in your well. But my mother always shielded us and she died for her husband and her children. I love them both but in different ways.

Do you have time for relaxation?
Yes. I do create time for relaxation. I swim a lot; I am very light in the water. I also enjoy sitting back at home with my family. I enjoy travelling so much; I sleep in the plane and in the car. I am wired for travelling.

2 comments: