Sunday 1 November 2015

Why I’m crazy about ankle---Asabi

Fast-rising actress, Alabi  Yetunde Mary, popularly known as Asabi, is leaving no stone unturned to have headway in the Yoruba Speaking Movie industry following her enthusiasm to showcase her talent among her peers. The 5’8 tall Osun State-born is also a make-up artiste and a bead maker. In this interaction with SEYI SOKOYA, Asabi speaks on why she ventured into acting and her fashion preferences. Excerpts:

How I discovered acting
There have been several comments from my friends that I am a very funny and playful person, but then I didn’t see the need to take that serious until my friend, Azeez Ijaduade, who is an actor, came around to inform me about his upcoming movie and during the conversation, I told myself that I can fit into the narrated story. I never hesitated to claim it; I summoned the courage and made it clear that it was my time to unleash. This whole thing happened around April this year and I am glad that the experience has been awesome since I ventured into the industry. In fact, it was as if I have been in the game for a very long time, though it could be stressful sometimes.

Why I also ventured into make-ups and bead making
I do other things at my leisure; it is like an addition. In fact, if need be, I do my make-up myself on set and rock my bead designs; I am enjoying this all the way. I don’t see it as a tedious job. It is what I have derived pleasure in.

How I have been able to carve a niche, especially among the female actors.
I see myself as a flexible person in the sense that I could play a very classy role and still switch to a perfect local girl and then I speak Hausa very well. I think that’s like a plus to my Yoruba and English languages. I can do a little of Igbo too and I am also learning French at the moment. I am enjoying myself. I have featured in four movies and I played a sub-lead in one of the movies I have featured.

What brought me to the West
I was born in the North. This is where I have a clear understanding of the Hausa Language. My mum moved over because of her work, so, I had to join her. I was much younger then, so, I don’t remember much, but I miss the days of ice falling during the rainy season in Jos. It was like a smaller version of London, it was peaceful until riot and all started. I am a Yoruba girl so, West is home and home is fun and comfortable.

How I intend to have my way in the industry
I know with God anything is possible, I am not rushing. I see a brighter and better time ahead of me. God’s grace is sufficient for me and I am doing my best to purse my career successfully.

On whether the fear of unemployment forced me into acting
It is true that we have serious issues of unemployment in Nigeria, but that is not a reason in my case. I could easily establish properly in my make-up and beads, but somehow I find myself loving acting.

My stage name
My name is coined out from the popular saying of Ashabi sha dollar. I am an up-and-coming screen diva in the industry, a makeup artiste and a bead maker, so it is a prospective avenue for me. The name had always been my nick name from way back, before I thought about the industry or any business and I know I will be counting my blessings very soon.

My parents’ reaction when they discovered my love for acting
My mum didn’t really want it. She is a nurse and she would have loved a book related thing. But my family and friends are super excited about it.

How I intend to handle the good and bad sides of Nollywood
I am yet to see the bad. The experience has been fair enough all along and I think every occupation also have the two sides; same as life. So, in case it comes, I’ll pass in Jesus name. It’s not as if I am not worried, but I have not had any bad experience whatsoever.

Assessment of the industry
I am positive about the industry. I believe it is wide enough for me to carve a niche for myself regardless of the competition. I have met a couple of very wonderful regular artiste in the industry and they have been really supportive

On whether I would take a nude role
Nude? No way. I can’t, maybe if I was a white girl I would, but as for my belief and tradition, it’s a taboo. I am a Christian and a very cultured Yoruba girl. Though I wear short dresses when I need to, but as for going nude it’s a no.  Anything that has to do with me going nude, I will not go for it irrespective of what is involved. I will do perfectly well in other roles. I love to play role such as wife or lady, daughter, villager among others.

Take on provocative dressing
Let me start with what provocative dressing means. It is an act of dressing that causes sexual feelings, and it goes along with the act, which I see as very wrong. I see no reason why I should or anyone should dress like that, I’d rather dress smartly. We now live in a free world where what is provocative to me might not be provocative to another person. But I believe in the saying “you’re addressed the way you’re dressed”. On the other hand, our opinion differs.

Definition of style
Style to me is being classy and how I express my totality as a woman, in my way of dressing, how I express myself and my way of relating with people.

Self description
God fearing, down to earth, honest, loving and loveable.

Choice of accessories
I like it simple, especially beads, chains and neck. They make pleasing statements and very simple on me.

Beauty regimen
I am a very simple and natural person, I simply wash my face, cleanse, apply a little moisturiser and sometimes wear make-up. Other times, I prefer to be off and stay natural.

Role models
I respect and follow the likes of Julia Roberts, Lupita Nyong ‘O, Nse Ekpe etim, Genevieve Nnaji, Funke Akindele, Toyin Aimakhu, Iyabo ojo with keen attention. They are really doing well and taking the industry with a storm.

Most expensive fashion item in my wardrobe
My gold chain. Please, I would not want to disclose what it is worth on the pages of newspaper.

Fashion item I cannot do without
That has to do with my anklet; in fact, I wear it to bed sometimes. I am just very comfortable with it. I am not aware using a leg chain comes with a stigma, as I said earlier, our fashion life style differs, but I think it’s lame for anyone to judge on little things like that. In my own terms, it doesn’t have a negative effect.

Cosmetic surgery and toning
It has to do with choice. It is not applicable to me. I am happy the way I am. Maintenance of my body is most important and that’s all.

Favourite colour
No, I don’t have any preferred colour. I go for whatever suits me, especially dark colours. This is because bright colours are usually too attractive and I am a simple and easy going person.

Favourite perfume
They are Elizabeth Arden, Givenchy, Calvin Klein.

Favourite designers
Christian Louboutin and Valentino among many others.

Fashion item cannot be caught dead wearing
I can never be caught wearing tattoos. It may be strange. I am me and I decide how I want to be. It’s a no to tattoos.

Where I intend to be in the next five years
I see my name on the wall of fame. I see the name Ashabi as a household name. I want to be one of the most celebrated celebs in Africa.

On whether I am into relationship
I am single and the choice of my man should be God-fearing, good looking and caring.

How I handle my male admirers
I appreciate them and also God has blessed me with divine wisdom to handle them with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment