Sunday 24 January 2016

How my mum shaped my career —Thespis, Joke Muyiwa’s only child

He is fresh in the music industry, but determined to become a legend. Abayomi Ayeni, a.k.a Thespis, the only child of popular actress, Joke Muyiwa, and a graduate of the Performing Arts from the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State, is also an actor. In this interaction with SEYI SOKOYA, he speaks on his drive and vision in the entertainment industry. Excerpts:

How did you discover your talent for music?

I didn’t start with music, I started out as a drummer. I have been a drummer since I was nine and I play drums very well. I used to play drums in the church. It was there that I later decided to develop myself in it, so when I was 15, I learned how to drum at a music school. Along the line, I began to fall in love with music. The music school opened my eyes to what music really entails. Having discovered this, I decided to make use of the opportunity and I added music to my drum sessions. I have never regretted this rare opportunity.

How has it been  since you ventured into music?
As I said earlier, I don’t have any regret. Though the experience has not been much, I started barely two years ago, but I have been able to live up to expectation. I have been enjoying the atmosphere and the industry. I have tried to do  some researches and study the industry within the two years. This is why I decided not to rush to record songs. Having cross examined the industry for about two years, I think it is time for me to begin to flaunt my talent and carve a niche for myself.

What has been your drive for music?Aside the fame, connection and money, which one may get as rewards, and which could also serve as a drive, I have developed passion for music so much that it has really shaped my life for good. Music always makes me think. I look up to people like Asa, Lagbaja and the late Fela Anikulapo. At present, my record label, Blaqstunnaz Entertainment and I, are working assiduously to release songs. But then, we are not in a rush to be noticed. We are also not resting on our oars in our collective efforts to give the best to our fans. I believe I will get there someday and I am convinced that I will affect the industry positively with my type of music.

Do you consider yourself fortunate to have been  signed by a record label despite the fact that you are still struggling to become a star?I will have to subject that to God’s handiwork, and my resilience to push my music career forward. I remember that I got this opportunity on a day that I performed at a show and a lady walked up to me and commented that my performance was awesome. She later asked if I would love to be under a record label. Afterwards, I embraced the gesture and as God would have it, I was formally signed under the record label. The relationship has been awesome and I am sure that we have a direction.

As an upcoming artiste, what has been your greatest challenge?
Acceptance and convincing people has been one of the major challenges that upcoming acts face. It has been a great task to convince, as well as draw people’s attention to one’s song, especially when they are not familiar with it. But we are getting there. Despite these challenges though, I don’t see it as a barrier because all the stars that we have today started from somewhere. I see this as a stepping stone and part of the dues I have to pay to ascend to the top in the industry.


You studied Performing Arts in the university. Why music instead of acting?The discipline is not restricted to acting alone. It also involves music. The two are interwoven. That is why you see that it’s easier for some actors now showing their strength in music. Acting is not strange to me, my mum is a professional in the field. That has served as leverage for me to raise my game with ease. Even if that has not been her profession, I still love performing acts. I believe I can act well and also sing.

How many songs do you have to your credit?
So far, I have recorded over ten songs. For a start, my record label released two entitled: “Bass Line” and “Buga”. The first single was released last December and I was impressed with the outcome. I could remember that the twitter trend was massive. I give thanks to God that we are getting there.

Do you have any plans for collaboration with other artistes?
Definitely. Plans are in the pipe line to engage in collaboration with Teckno, Wande Coal and Solid Star, among others. I love their flavours of music.

Where would you like to see yourself in the next five years?
By His grace, I see myself as a resourceful person and a blessing to my generation. In five years’ time, I must have affected the world positively with my music.

How would you describe yourself?I am a cool headed person. I don’t talk when I am not supposed to. But some people who are not close to me usually say that I am proud, especially because my mum is a popular actress. Only those who are close to me always defend me and convince people that I am a very nice person. The fact that my mum is a prominent actor doesn’t mean I should misbehave. I am a normal human being and I have to act like a responsible person. I have never allowed her fame to get into my head. Also, I love food. I can eat five times in a day.

How did you come about your stage name?
Interestingly, I have got my stage name even before I started music. According to my mum, his colleague, Dr Laide Nasir, popularly known as Pana, gave me the name Thespis because I was born into the theatre world. I grew up hearing the name and I have been answering to that alias since my tender age. So, I see it as part of my names.

It is clear that you have your mum’s support, what of that of your father’s?
I would not want to dwell much on that because my mother told me that he died when I was 15 years old. I won’t what to emphasize much on that because it has been my mum from day one.

Would you say your mum influenced your education and music career?No, she didn’t. I already fell in love with Performing Arts as well as music early in life. I rather see her as an advantage because she has really helped me not to get into wrong hands.  Her impact on my career also serves as a guide for me to remain focused and also to flourish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment