Sunday 24 January 2016

Why I won’t condemn Olamide over Headies’ war of words with Don Jazzy —VJ Adams

Video jockey and ‘Soundcity’ presenter, Adams Ibrahim Adebola, a.k.a VJ Adams’ career has continued to rise since he came into limelight after he contested at the 2008 edition of Next Movie Star West Africa. In this interaction with SEYI SOKOYA, he speaks on his plans for the future. Excerpts:

As a stakeholder in the Nigerian entertainment industry, what is your take on the war of words between Olamide and Don Jazzy at the Headies Awards held recently in Lagos?
I think people have begun to express themselves a little better and stand to speak up on how they sincerely feel about issues affecting them. A lot of people condemned Olamide’s conduct, but personally I did not condemn him. I only condemned the vulgar part of his conduct. I only have a little reservation about his utterance at a live  event, though he has apologised. I don’t think there is any problem about what he did by expressing his dissatisfaction. Thank God the whole issue is over now. However, I am happy to be part of this growing industry, knowing that the entertainment industry is now being referred to as the benchmark for the entire continent. Honestly, it is overwhelming to be part of this industry.

It seems you also support Olamide’s conduct?No. I am not taking sides. From the visual that I saw, Olamide spoke to the Headies. Is there anything wrong in speaking about a show? And, for Don Jazzy, he also expressed himself the way he felt was good for him. Perhaps, he thought Olamide was referring to him, but the good thing is that the beef has been quashed. I am glad that peace has been restored.

A lot of artistes have been revealing their plans for the year, what should your fans expect from you?
Definitely more music. At present, I do more music, TV and fashion. I am putting out another collection of my brand tagged: ‘VJ Adams Shirts lines’ and my TV works will start live broadcast and red carpets in a bigger way any moment from now. Though, I was a little bit quiet with my music last year, I only did two songs, but I am coming out stronger this year; I am ready, because I have a couple of songs. I just did a debut as a rapper; that was few days ago and the responses have been awesome. I have also been getting calls for collaboration. For me, it is a good start. I just toured Ibadan last week and it was thrilling. I visited media houses and places and I was treated well.

How have you been able to combine music, fashion and broadcasting?
Literally, I don’t sleep. I get three to four hours sleep everyday. I am aware that it is not a good thing health wise, but I know I am just trying to fulfill my potentials. We only have one life to live. I usually tell people that it is so funny that when you die, your so-called friends and closed ones won’t attend your burial. So, what is the point? Rather flaunt your potential, live your dreams, inspire and empower people as much as you can because everything stops for you when you are gone. As for me, I have been able to discover and re-discover myself. I enjoy what I do and it has really shaped my life for good. The TV comes first and I can never leave it for anything. I recently had a discussion with my boss on whether I should be given a space, but I insisted and made him realise that I am enjoying, and I love what I do. This is what brought me into limelight and has helped me gain more confidence as an entertainer.

How did you find your way into the industry?
The journey became brighter when I contested at the 2008 edition of Next Movie Star West Africa, a reality TV show that had the likes of Uti, Karen, Ego and Tonto Dike among others. The show was primarily for acting, but I had done BBC certified broadcast training in Lagos before I was part of that show. I was ready to go on TV as a presenter, but the opportunity then came to me under a reality show which I did. I was supposed to pursue acting as a career immediately I finished the show, but I realised that I won’t be the number one actor and I would like to be the number one. So, I focused on TV for three years and I am grateful to God for where I am today.
How is the experience like as a TV presenter for the past three years?

It has been great and interesting. When you are talking about experience, this is the only thing anyone cannot take away from you. Even money can’t buy it. I know what this entails. I have had cause to sleep in the office, not because I had no option nor where to sleep then, but I chose to sleep at the office just to make things work. I have worked for people who were going through crisis for eight months without salaries and did not resign. However, I may say this is the part of the dues I have paid. I never got distracted nor feel dejected then. I have learnt a lot with the little experience I have garnered in the industry, because I know I will become a boss some day. I already know how it feels. I am aiming to be perfect in what I am doing because I have decided to be a reputable presenter and musician for life. I have a lot of respect for journalists. People need to realise that to sit back to research on stories and write stories for people to read, honestly, it’s a lot of work and I am grateful for everything I have been able to achieve within the space of about six years I have found myself in this industry.

How have you been able to create your style and brand in broadcasting?
The fact remains that whatever works for one person might not necessarily work for another. My fans call me the ‘king of talk’ and as a result of this, I don’t have to go weird or do anything unnecessary than to be who I am. When I took the job, no one in this part of the world ever answered to the name VJ (Video jockey), so no one attached VJ to their names. Now, the younger generation are beginning to look up to me, especially with the connection of the name. Being a video jockey on Soundcity is a great privilege.

What were your parents’ take when they discovered that your passion for broadcasting was real?
It was the same as the typical Nigerian stories. Parents usually don’t support one doing entertainment in the beginning. All parents will always want the best for their children, so, I understood where they were coming from. My father said at first that this is what I should do on one side, and not the main thing to do for a living, but I made him realise that this is a responsible job where people get paid well and respected. It is not different from being a banker or any other professional job. It wasn’t until I convinced him before he and the entire family supported me fully. That this has worked for me, I urge youths to also cultivate the habit of politely convincing their parents on their choice of passion.

Are you satisfied with the situation of things in the broadcasting field?I am never satisfied. I always think that there are greater and bigger things to look forward to. There is a better way things can be done in the industry. At present, we now do live broadcast of events, especially from red carpets, which was not the case five years ago. I also think there are better ways to suit the audience than how we go about it before. We should always give room for more initiatives and innovations to make the industry more interesting.            

Could you recall any nasty experience you had with any celeb in the course of engaging them at events?

I won’t say I had clash with any celeb, but I would rather say I have had encounters with them, because for me, I have always been a professional and always poised to do my work in my own unique way. I am always professional whenever I am on the red carpet and as a presenter, I work on the guests for any show, just as I research on likely people I might come across. As usual, I would find out what is going on in your life. As a presenter, one needs to study people’s mood, especially celebs, because they are not obliged to answer all questions. So, one needs to be able to manage that area very well in order to get vital information.
 How would you describe yourself?

I think I have allowed broadcast to eat so much into my personal life. Everything around me is all about work. For example, I don’t know what vacation is like in my last five years because even when I have two days to rest, I would still have to write music or find something doing in my studio at home. My personal life is very simple. I am in my room and I pray when I am ready for the day, or for a shoot or a meeting. I ensure I cook whenever I am indoor because I like cooking a lot. I am a very good cook. I learnt how to cook because my father does not eat outside. I think his stomach is very sensitive, so he has to eat always at home. Being the last of five kids, there is no way I would not have a reason to be at home with my daddy, especially when my mum and my other siblings were not around and he had to eat; I do the cooking. That was how I fell in love with cooking. So, a typical day for me when I am not working or trying not to work, I would be cooking as well as play video games. I cherish these moments pretty much because I hardly sleep.

How do you get the courage and confidence in facing difficult persons in the course of discharging your duty as a presenter?It has been through divine wisdom. I don’t have to go high or do the extraordinary to source for techniques in engaging anyone. Part of the reasons I have refused to be a drink addict is to prove a point and to correct the wrong impression about the industry. I ask myself should I start drinking? It doesn’t make you a better presenter or a musician. Mind you, I am not judging anyone, especially those who drink, smoke and do whatever they do to be high, it is their business because at the end of the day you will be buried alone when you die and no one’s opinion will change your grave site. But personally, I don’t smoke nor drink. I don’t think it is necessary neither will it change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment