Saturday 13 February 2016

My backside is my greatest asset —Nkechi Sunday

Abia State-born actress, Nkechi Blessing Sunday, popularly known as Omoge Lekki, has a name and shape that attract attention to her in the movie industry. Though still not very famous, she believes she is already on her way to stardom. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the light-skinned actress revealed her mission in the industry and why she would not marry an actor. Excerpts:

How would you describe your journey into acting?

It’s a long story. I started acting in 2007  in the English speaking movies, but the pressure from producers pushed me away and I almost gave up my passion for acting as a result of that. I came back in 2013 and switched to Yoruba movies where I was graciously accepted and the journey has been very fruitful since then. I remember my first movie was “Khafila Omo Ibadan,” which was shot in South Africa.

How were you frustrated by the producers?
There was so much harassment. I would rather not talk about it because I have moved on. I am really enjoying myself. The experience has really been awesome and I thank God for where I am today. The interesting thing now is that some of these producers of English movies have been inviting me for jobs after seeing me mostly in Yoruba movies.

So, you never featured in any English movies?
I featured in two English movies entitled: “Unrequited” and “The Document” last year, but I think I love the Yoruba movies because I feel more comfortable taking the roles.

How do you feel among your colleagues in the Yoruba speaking movies?

I feel very homely and happy with my colleagues and the roles I have been playing have been awesome because I speak and understand Yoruba language very well. I have a solid background here and I was born and brought up in Lagos. I also had my primary and secondary school education in Lagos.


At what point did you become a movie producer?
 That came when I thought I should show the world how good I am. And, with the help of God and my boss, Mercy Aigbe Gentry, I was able to produce my first movie entitled: “Omoge Lekki”.

How have you been able to combine acting and movie production?

It’s very easy. I never had any stress at all, because I love what I do. It has been interesting and tasking, but I really enjoy where I am and what I do for a living.  It is simple and easy to act and produce films at the same time, this is because I enjoy it.

What is your greatest challenge as an actress?

I don’t think I see anything on this job as a challenge. I don’t see whatever comes my way as a problem. I have a great passion for my job. Above all, the grace of God has been helping me to carve a niche for myself in the industry.

What is your assessment of the movie industry?

I think we need to change a lot of things in the industry, especially the way they treat up-and-coming actors and actresses. We need to give them the platform to showcase their talents. They should be given more time to explore. These young ones will become bigger tomorrow if they are encouraged.

Are you impressed with the acceptance of your latest work entitled “Omoge Lekki’’?

The response has been massive, despite the fact that it is not out fully. The acceptance of the promotion is a sign that it will be accepted.  I thank God for the success. The film will be finally released on February 19. I believe that this movie would bring in more jobs and also open doors of endorsements for me.

Are you longing for one?
Definitely. I don’t want to be specific, because I believe that God has His ways of doing things. I am not in a haste. I trust God that it will come at His appointed time.

Some people believe you went too far in the movie when you tried to seduce Yinka Quadri with a lap dance. How will you react to that?
Don’t let us forget that our job is called make-believe.Mr Quadri is one of the people I respect so much in the industry and he has always been very supportive.You know I was asking him to give me his car, so I had to give him a lap dance in order to get the car without any delay. Meanwhile, lap dance is far different from seduction. In the movie, we dated, so, it is beyond seduction.

What brought about the movie?
The main message of Omoge Lekki is to caution ladies who live wasteful lifestyles on the Island, especially in Lekki. I wrote the story to remind them of the consequences. Many of them lead fake lives. They go for expensive things whereas their families and relatives are suffering back home.

But many celebs are relocating to the Island...

I am not referring to the celebs. Many things are happening  on the Island that will shock you if you come across them. This is the life many people live in Lekki and that is why I titled the film “Omoge Lekki”.   

What is your relationship like with Mercy Aigbe?

She is my boss, mentor, role model and sister. I don’t compete with her, instead I pray to get to her level in the industry. We are not mates, but she is a senior colleague.  I love and respect her so much because she believes in me and supports me.

How have you been coping with the rivalry among the actresses?

I am not sure I have any rival in the industry. I am just here to enjoy what I know how to do best and if anyone sees me as his or her rival, then it is the person’s business.

Is it true that film producers cheat?

It depends on who the producer is. I cannot speak for others, but I am not a cheat. I have always done my job and comport myself in a professional way.

How have you been able to combine your career and the home front?
I am not married neither do I have kids. But my family is my number one supporter. Away from that, I have my man’s full support.

How do you keep your male admirers at arm’s length?

I tell them that I am engaged in order not to be disturbed.

Do you have a crush on anyone actor?
Yes.  I am crushing on Adeniyi Johnson.

Why?
That is a story for another day. Having a  crush on Johnson does not mean I want to date him. I just like the way he interprets his roles. I see him as a fantastic actor.

You like him despite his marital issues with Toyin Aimaku?

That is none of my business. Don’t forget that we are colleagues.

Do you encourage celebrities marrying each other in the industry?
I think it is their choice; I cannot decide for anyone. As for me, I cannot marry an actor and I have no reason for my decision.

Do you also subscribe to the fact that not all actors are professionals?
Yes, you are right. Some see the acting profession as a job, while some see it as a passion. Meanwhile, some of them don’t really know what acting entails, because they are after fame, money and other life’s desires. I don’t think that there is anything I can do to correct this. I only have to be good in what I do and let others carry their cross.

What is your take on provocative dressing that is rampant among actresses in the industry?

I think everyone has his or her life to live and also be comfortable in whatever he or she wears. I don’t put my mouth in people’s business because I wouldn’t want anyone to do same to me. I wear whatever pleases me.

What does your tattoo symbolise and where do you have it on your body?
My tattoo is tribal. A tribal tattoo has no meaning. It is just fashionable and fine.

What are your plans to raise your game in 2016?
I desire to become one of the best Nollywood stars known all over the world, produce mind-blowing movies and live my dream of being a mega super star.

What is your greatest physical asset?
That should be my backside. I mean my bum bum.

What does it cost you to look good?

 I don’t spend much to look good; I am not the expensive type. I prefer to be simple and elegant.

Fashion item you won’t be caught dead wearing?
Shoes. I am a shoe freak. I love good shoes and I don’t think there is anything I can’t wear with my line of duty.

Growing up and educational background.
Growing up for me was fun, because my dad was financially buoyant and could take proper care of us. I am from a family of four; three girls and a boy. I am the second born. I was born in Surulere, Lagos State. I attended Blessing Nursery and Primary School before I moved to Oku Abiodun Nursery and Primary School, because my late father, an ex-police officer, was transferred. I had my secondary school education at Barachel Model College, Taju Bello Area of Agbado, in Lagos. I spent one year studying Business Administration in Lagos State University before proceeding to the North American University, Benin Republic, where I studied International Relation.

No comments:

Post a Comment