Sunday 5 June 2016

What I tell men who make advances to me —Shalom


Olorunfemi Shalom is one of the fast rising gospel musicians in the industry. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, she speaks about her new works and her fashion fondness. Excerpts: 


How I discover passion for music
My passion for music was probably the first thing I discovered about myself. As a little girl, my dad would play the guitar and teach us songs. I have always looked forward to the guitar moments. This later helped my sister and I to start singing “special numbers” in church. Music is my best therapy, my favourite moments, and it just kept growing. I had always loved to sing and do music.

When I took it up professionally
That is hard to say. I ought to have started professionally before now, but God has His own way of doing things. I had been in a music reality TV show, I had staged a concert of my own, I also studied music. All these were different start ups for different levels of my music career. But officially, OluwaShalom as an artiste was launched about a year ago.

About my new album, ‘Eledumare’
I feel blessed and extremely grateful to God for surrounding me with amazing people, at home, work and my church. I was elated with the success of the event. I never thought it would turn out to be an awesome gathering, because of my expectations wasn’t forthcoming, but God eventually had His way and also manifested Himself through the initiative. The album launch wasn’t planned to hold on my birthday, but due to logistics, it got postponed and the new date picked happened to be my birthday. So I’ll just say that was how it was meant to be. Above all, I want to use the medium to thank everyone that contributed to the success of  the works and also graced the event held penaltimate Saturday; I pray God will reward you all accordingly.

Challenges
I want to say that each step of the way has come with its own peculiar challenge. First was how to start and then who to work with and then meeting up with the standard of music I want to do. So far, it has been interesting.

Why I chose gospel
I’ll just say this is me. This is what I have inside. This is what I have to give. This is my purpose.

How I intend to carve a niche for myself in the music sector
Firstly, by staying true to myself and my brand. Not trying to be anyone else. I believe that we are all unique in our own way, and that already is a niche. I will also work hard to be excellent in what I do. Consistent delivery of excellent music, great content and positive impact, and with God at the centre of it all, I am confident that I will stand out.

On whether I am satisfied with the state of the gospel music ministry
No, I am not, because this is not our best yet, but I am glad that it is getting better.

What I would have become if not gospel musician
I would probably have been a florist or maybe a jeweller or a writer. I haven’t lost touch with any of these though. I am still in the process of being all that.

Inspiration
I get inspired by a lot of things. Nature, experiences, circumstances, scenarios around me, images, words, scriptures, books, among others.

Role models
I have people I look up to in different aspects of life; career, songwriting, performance, excellence in living, business achievements etc. Basically, people who have gone ahead of me and making marks in various areas of life I am stepping into are my models in those roles. I look after my pastors, boss, some senior friends, singers etc.

Most embarrassing moment
I guess that was the day I missed my lines when singing. It was really an uneasy moment that I cannot easily forget.

Songs I have to my credit
I can’t give an accurate number of songs. But God has helped me to write quite a number of songs. I have a complete album entitled:”Eledumare” of 13 tracks. I have written songs for people, and there are many more songs yet to be recorded.

How I am coping with competition in the industry
I am not in a competition. I am on a journey to fulfill a mandate. Others are there to challenge me, help me get better, and get blessed and encouraged by me as they go in their journey too. If there is anyone to outshine, it is who I was yesterday and trust me, I am winning that one.

What I do aside music
I do a couple of things aside singing. I work as a vocal coach, a florist, fabric jeweller and a producer. 


Definition of style
Style, for me, is that thing that makes you unique and distinct. It defines a particular aspect of you. It could be dressing, music, expression. Your style is part of your identity and signature.

Self description
I’ll just say I am God’s masterpiece and a very simple person.

Beauty regimen
I take plenty water. I ensure I wear smiling face always. I also make sure I have good grooming hair and nails and enough care to keep my mouth clean to have fresh breath. I try to get enough sleep too.

Favourite colour
Aqua blue.

Favourite fashion designer
 AyBl.

Fashion item I can’t be caught dead wearing
Nose rings, ankle chains.

Special treat
An evening of smooth jazz and pizza, preferably in closet.

Fashion item that takes lager part of my wardrobe
That has to do with my shoes. I love shoes to a fault.

Take on provocative dressing
No! For all reasons.

How I handle male fans
I handle them with a beautiful smile and a pleasant ‘thank you’ to all the compliments.

My kind of man
I will adore God-fearing and cool headed man.

Growing up
I grew up in Kogi State with my parents and siblings. I also had my primary and secondary school education in Kogi State.

No comments:

Post a Comment