Sunday 13 September 2015

Men I can never kiss--Gbemisola Adu



Actress, Gbemisola Adu, popularly known as Portable, is today a force to reckon with in the movie industry. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the 22-year-old native of Emure in Ekiti State speaks on her driving force and weakness for perfumes. Excerpts:
 
Sojourn into acting
My journey into the acting world has been challenging as well as awesome. I eventually realised that it is a platform to explore my talent. I know I am not there yet, but I am convinced that I am in for the game. I am not in a rush for fame, because I know God is there to order my step. I love acting; in fact, I don’t see it as a job, but what I love to do. It all started when my church called for an audition in 2011 and I picked interest in it.


How acting has treated me
It has been hectic but I have refused to let that discourage me. There is no profession that doesn’t have its bad side. I have made up my mind to succeed in this industry. It is not that I’m desperate. What has been giving me confidence is the passion and the love for the job.

My greatest challenge
There is no amount of challenges that will pull me out of this field. So, I don’t see challenges as a treat. In fact, I won’t give room for such.  I don’t feel bad when I am not picked at audition. I have never been bothered. I rather remain focused for more positive things to come my way. As an up-and-coming actress, I am ready to face any challenge of life, because I believe everything is possible through Jesus Christ.

Distinctive things I brought into the industry
I have brought class and better innovation into the industry. Good things are coming from me and I want my fans to be on the lookout. It is good that the industry gives room for exploration of talents and anybody can chip in his or her initiative, so far it will enhance the growth of the industry. I am poised to give my best in pursuit of my career, especially on set

On whether I have been sexual harassed
I am aware that this is one of the major challenges women face. It is not peculiar to the entertainment industry. It is in every sector. But we actors seem to be centred upon, maybe because of the nature of our profession. I am not in for sexual harassment and I won’t tolerate any form of sexual harassment. Though I have encountered such, I won’t tolerate such rubbish again. Pardon me; I would not share such experience on the pages of newspaper because I feel it’s personal.

Movies I have produced
My personal movie productions are still in the pipeline, but I have featured in three films. One of them is entitled “Eve”.

One whether I feel threatened among other female actresses in the industry
Sometimes I feel threatened, but I have been able to develop my courage to face whatever I come across. However, it is normal for a starter to blend with the popular celebs who have established themselves over the years. This has not given me the yardstick to be carried away or intimidated, but a stepping stone to excel in the system. I respect all A-list and those that are there before me, because I am sure that I will be respected soon too.

My assessment of the movie industry

 For me, it is a haven of talented and nice set of people. It is a welcome development with the fact that the industry has been able to promote culture in all ramifications. Its output has also helped the country’s in economic growth and creation of job opportunity. I only need to sustain and build upon these achievements so as to have a complete industry.

My role models
I respect this set of people so much because of their impact in my acting career. They have really given me the cause to rise. I see Mr Wasiu Eyiowuawi, popularly known as Papa and Olayiwola Awoyemi, a.k.a Keffy as my mentors. Also, I want to thank Uncle Yinka Qaudri for his impact and words of encouragements. My relationship with them is like that of a brother and sister; father and daughter. I always pray for them and sometimes get across them whenever I remember the good times we shared at locations together. They tutor me and get me jobs without anything attached to them. None of them asked me out or harassed me; I have never experienced such. I believe it is a rumour; you know some people are just in this world to tarnish other people’s names and the career they have built over the years due to selfish interests.

Male actor I would love to work with on set
I think it will be Adetola Adedimeji Lateef. Yes, I have a crush on him, but nothing is attached to it. No, I cannot marry him. It cannot work because I am not planning to marry anyone from the industry; my Mr right would be from outside the industry. I guess the home will suffer if we are both in the game. Nobody would be there, especially when the children need us.

What I would have become if not acting
I would have become a fish farmer, because my dad is a fish farmer and he raised me doing the business. I have wealth of experience in fish farming and I have passion for the business. I have  full knowledge about catfish  farming and I love the business. I won’t be surprised if I go back so as to sustain the family business.

On whether I have the support of my parents
Initially, they didn’t support me, but I got their full support when they discovered that my passion for acting was genuine.

Definition of style
My own definition of style is being classic and showcasing a unique taste at a given time. You don’t need to go to the extreme before you make a statement, but unique perfection will speak good volume of you.

Choice of accessories
I love designer perfumes, especially the Turkey and USA wears. I also love gold.

Philosophy of life
I think life is good. Having discovered yourself; aspire to succeed and give a mark in putting all your best and leave the rest to God for perfection.

Opinion on toning and cosmetic surgery
I believe it depends on individual’s choice; one man’s food is another man’s poison. Circumstances may demand for it too. So, it is not right to judge or condemn whoever tones. I think I would love to put my decision under wrap because I feel it is private.

Most expensive item in my wardrobe
Zara clothes, Gucci and designer perfumes.

Favourite perfumes
Tomford and 212 sexy perfumes; I love perfumes to a fault.

Fashion item I cannot do without, especially when going out
My mobile phone, I don’t think I can do without my iPhone because I am addicted to it. I feel empty when it is not with me. Also, I cannot do without my perfumes too. I really like to smell nice, especially in the public. I don’t go out without my perfumes in my bag.

Fashion item I cannot be caught dead wearing
That should be fashion items such as cloths or accessories that are fairly used. It is not my choice and I won’t dare go for them. I am painstaking about what I use on myself, especially when it comes to cloths. I won’t be caught dead wearing Okrika.

Take on provocative dressing
As an actress, I think the job requires this, but it has to be moderate and sexy. I think I like it and I am inspired by Kim Kardashin. I dress provocatively sometimes because I am a very crazy lady. It is also part of the fashion.

On what will make me pose nude in a movie

There is no amount of money or drive for fame that will make me pose nude. It is not moral and I will never encourage such.

Role I will not dare play in films
Kissing scene; this is because of the fact that I will not want to deep my lips into someone’s mouth I don’t have emotional feelings for. I cannot kiss someone I am just seeing for the first time, talk less of acting it. I won’t mind what it will cost me. I would reject any script or scene that has to do with kiss

Beauty secret
My creator and my mum are the secret of my beauty.

Tattoo
I have a tattoo on my neck; it was inspired by Tonto Dikeh because she has something similar to her tattoo. It is just stars.

Most nasty experience
I have several, but the most nasty one was the day I got drunk and the funny thing is that I was with my ex-boyfriend, though nothing unpleasant happened.

How I unwind
I usually take a breath at the pool side and swim a lot.

Where I would like to see myself in the next five years
I desire to be one of the greatest female Nollywood actresess and to become a role model to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment