Wednesday 23 September 2015

My encounter with a woman who found my pictures in her hubby’s phone —Lara Olubo

Musician-cum-actress, Lara Olubo, is currently one of the television presenters rocking the industry. The big, bold and beautiful lady, as she usually describes herself, is the anchor of the popular TV programme, Miliki Express on Orisun. She speaks with  SEYI SOKOYA on her success story and fashion preferences: Excerpts:
  
  How I ventured into broadcasting
I won’t say it was sudden. Another thing is that God has His own way of doing things, especially when He is ready to usher one to the top. He will use one particular person to change one’s story for good. Bimbo Ogunsanya discovered me and got me into Orisun television. I never knew I could be a presenter. Though I loved it when I was in the university, my late father never wanted me to study Mass Communication which eventually made me to study Business Administration. So, being a TV host was never
part of my plan. But as God wanted it, one thing led to the other and I eventually found myself in the mainstream of the broadcasting industry. It all started when I paid Bimbo a visit at the Orisun Television station in Lagos. My main focus was to feature in his movie entitled: “Asababi”. This was about three years ago. Instead of discussing about the mission of my visit, he asked me if I could present a show and I replied that I could try. Lo and behold, that was how it all started. I would say life as a broadcaster has been awesome.

How broadcasting has been treating me
It has been wonderful. Though it is not new to me, because the table had just turned from being an interviewee to an interviewer. I used to be interviewed as a gospel artiste. But now, I interview people. I don’t think I have any regret concentrating more on broadcasting. It has afforded me an opportunity to set a standard and brand. Words of encouragement from people and my fans have also spurred me to excel in the field. I am fine and proud to be described as a successful and vibrant broadcaster.

Greatest challenge
I won’t succumb to the fact that I experience challenges always, because I have got the best team anyone could ask for except during the training. It could be difficult to source for ideas sometimes, especially when you don’t have a solid background about the subject matter. But God has been helpful through the bunch of talents He surrounded me with. Bimbo Ogunsanya and Yemisi Jacobs who are my producers sometimes drain me. My boss, Kwame would not give me breathing space too. But is has been lovely all the way, because I was never discouraged or feel embarrassed during trainings. To be honest, it has been God since I ventured into broadcasting. Though it has not been easy but I’m grateful to God for my background and upbringing. I also want to use this medium to appreciate my parents for what they have deposited in me which has really helped me in life and my career.

Assessment of the broadcasting industry
It is a welcome development that we are improving day by day, but I strongly believe we will get there soon. Though I am not contended with the state of things in the broadcasting industry,  I’m convinced that we could improve on it so as to have a better industry. Also, I have been able to develop myself following the new face of the industry.

On whether I have dumped music and acting for broadcasting
I can never dump them for broadcasting; the three are interwoven and I have been handling them with care. Acting for me, started like a joke. Bimbo Ogunsayan brought me into acting and the experience has been awesome since I found myself in the mainstream of the field. I have acted alongside some notable actors in the industry such as: Jaiye Kuti, Baba Ijesa, Baba Alariya, Yinka Quadri, Mercy Aigbe and a host of others.  As for music; it all started when I was eitgh years old and I have been singing professionally for over two decades now. I have had collaborations with my mentors, Evangelists Soji and Tope Alabi. I have also worked with the likes of Wole Oni, Mike Abdul, Kunle Ayo and Kemi Olaitan among others. I have three albums to my credit; I released my first album entitled: “Advocate” in 2006, followed by “Adoration and currently, I am working on my third album I entitled: “In His Presence”. Aside all these, I am poised to venture into fashion very soon, because I love looking good.

How I have been able manage the hazards of the job
As said earlier, it has been God and good upbringing. My parents are disciplinarian and I still have that in me even till today.  Also, the fact that I put smile on people’s faces has been more than enough rewarding. On the other hand, I really want to thank my boss, Mr Femi Aderibigbe, popularly known as Kwame of the Orisun TV for believing in me. To mention a few, Bimbo Ogunsanya and Yemisi Jacobs have been my mentors and guide on the job.

How I have been able to combine  the home front and my careers
Honestly, it has not been easy but God’s grace has been sufficient. My family has been supportive in all ramifications. I would say the grace of God has been more than sufficient for me. I think I have to clear this; the media has been unfair to celebrities. They also contribute to the rampant crashed marriages among celebs by reporting what they don’t know or could not establish. I urge them to change their orientation about news judgments and be positive-minded. Personally, I won’t want to talk about my privacy. My home and way of life should be private.

What stands me out from other female broadcasters
One fact about me is that I don’t pretend. I do my things and leave the rest to God. I don’t envy people’s progress. I will never over do things, so, I would say I am the best of my kind.

On whether I feel threatened with the huge competition
Feel threatened? Never, I wasn’t brought up that way; I am big, bold and beautiful. So, there can never be any threat from anyone whatsoever.

Educational background
I had my primary education at Ijapo Primary School, later proceeded to Ijapo Secondary School for my secondary education and eventually had my higher education at the Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State where I studied Business Administration.

Growing up
As I said earlier, my parents are disciplinarians. All they thought us while growing up is what I’m enjoying till today and I’m so glad I came through them, because their impacts in my life really helped me in all manners.

Description of self
I’m an homely, caring, straight forward person. I hate lies and I am very understanding, but I hate to be taking for a fool.

Definition of fashion
To me, fashion is anything you are comfortable in. Dressing is the function of your head. It has to do with instinct. One doesn’t really need to go to the extreme to make a fashion statement.

Choice of accessories
I love wrist watches a lot. Perfumes are my best choice too. I also love shoes to a fault. Also, I have got plenty beads as well, though I make them myself. Yes, I love hairs! However, I am contented with whatever I have.

Beauty regimen
I love my palm oil and honey with turmeric mix together with my rice water. These are natural stuff I learnt from Arewa Bukola Fash. For me, I don’t really have any beauty regime. Most women don’t know milk is one of the most beautiful nutrients our skin needs. I learn a lot from a group called EGS on the social media. I gathered a lot of information and tips each time I check on the group and the results are always instant.

Fashion icons
My mum and my sister are great inspiration. They taught me most of the things I need to know about fashion. I have also learnt some skills from my two lovely friends, Mercy Aigbe Gentry and Funmilayo Onigbogi.

Fashion item you can’t do without
As I said earlier, my perfumes and my wrist watches are the major things I cannot do without, especially when I am going out.

Most expensive item in my wardrobe
They are three; things-my hair, my wrist watch and my laces.

Fashion item I won’t be caught dead wearing
Never, I cannot be caught wearing skinny dresses or revealing clothes, because I cannot imagine what I would look like. In fact, they are not my choice. I am always conscious of being seen as a responsible and cautious person wherever I found myself.

What is your opinion on toning
I’m not a fan of such though. As I said earlier, I use natural product for my skin, because I’m light skinned. Personally, it is meaningless for me to tone with what I have learnt from EGS; natural products such as: lemon oil, milk, tomatoes, palm oil, turmeric and many more are enough to look good and healthy, so, using chemical on my body is a big NO for me and for those who engage in such, they had better watch it because of old age.

Cosmetic surgery
God forbid. It is a no go area for me. I am not a fan of such. Anyone who might want to encourage me to do so should just leave me the way I am.

Special treatment
I’m a homely girl. It is either I take a nap at home or go to the cinema to watch movies which I hardly do these days. I also love going to Chinese restaurant once in a while. But at present, I am pleased staying at home with my people.

My greatest physical asset
My smile is my greatest physical asset. The fact is that I have chosen to be happy in whatever situations I find myself. This even gives me more confidence when things are not fine. I always want to wear a good face so as to overcome the challenge in no time. This has really worked for me. I enjoy wearing a good look with my smiles, because it speaks good volume of me.

Take on provocative dressing
It is such a pity most people don’t know that they would be addressed the way they dress. I don’t support this at all. I project dignity and sanity, because I am a role model to some people, aside the fact that I am a disciplined person.

Beauty secret
I don’t really have any secret except God. I have learnt to always let go the past and move on with my life. I pray a lot and I am also an advocate of contentment, just as the Yourba proverb says: “Se bo ti mo, elewa sapon”.

How I handle male advances
Honestly, it has been God and being firm with my decision. My upbringing has been helpful too. I don’t get distracted with material things, because I am content with the little I have.

Most embarrassing moment
I could remember a nasty experience I had with a family when a lady called me on a fateful day and started abusing me for minutes over the phone, because she saw many of my pictures in her husband’s phone. I was speechless because I didn’t have an idea of what she was talking about. I never expected such from anyone. I later got to know that it was not a joke. Apparently, she fought with her husband and the dispute was eventually resolved by members of their family when the husband presented some of the cloths I wore in the stored pictures which he bought for his wife to the meeting in order to establish the main reason he used to snap my pictures during my programme on the TV. She later informed me about the whole issue and begged for forgiveness and compensated me with the sum of N3,000 recharge card. The interesting part is that the scenario had made the whole family to be fans of my TV programme, Miliki Express. We are friends now, though we have not meet face-to-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment