Sunday 7 June 2015

Comedy job, best decision ever —MC Shem

Ayodele Aguda, popularly known as MC Shem, is an event compere and a comedian. The rib cracker, in this interview with SEYI SOKOYA speaks on his sudden rise in the comedy industry and achievements. Excerpts:  
You have carved a niche for yourself in the comedy industry with your brand.  Could you recall how you sojourn into the industry?
 I started in the church just like a lot of other acts in the entertainment industry, though I still go to the church. I started from the drama group, often taking funny roles and later moved up to doing comedy. I anchored lots of events in the church as well; it became more serious when I gained admission into the higher institution, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba to be precise.
I have been into it fully, even after school, and I will say God has been faithful to be. Carving a niche for myself as you said is something I had to do, because I realised that you have to be different, unique and creative to remain relevant in the industry, which gave me a reason to do something different from the everyday comedian. I will also like to emphasise that prayer is the key; you can’t achieve anything except it is given to you by God.

Did you ever have the premonition that you will become a comedian?Yes! I think at the age of 8 or 9, I told a joke I heard on television to a group of people and they did not laugh, then I told them they were supposed to laugh because it was a joke, then they started laughing. It was very much later I realised it was not the joke that made them laugh. I was not always sure of what it was, but one thing I was sure of was that I did not see myself as someone who will graduate and hunt for a Job. So when comedy and compere became eminent, I gave it all I had and here I am today. I am also convinced that the future is bright.

What would you have become if you are not a comedian?If I was not a comedian, I would have become so many things, I have an entrepreneurial instinct, I love acting, writing songs, I know I like talking to people and encouraging them, I derive joy when I make people feel happy and better about themselves. 

How has it been with taking comedy as a profession?Choosing comedy as a profession is one of the best decisions I have made ever, and I do not regret it at all. Aside that, it is what I love to do and what I have a strong passion for. It has also been paying my bills so far. I have no cause to neglect or dump comedy.

How did you come up with your stage name, Shem?Shem is my Christian name, Shem is a Biblical name, Shem is the first of the sons of Noah - Shem, Ham and Japheth, Abraham is the father of all nations and he is under the genealogy of Shem, therefore Shem is the Father of the Father of all nations. The name Shem means, fame or reputation. It even means identity or personality, renowned, celebrated and distinguished. I can tell you categorically that the name is really working for me for good.

You have been able to build a huge fan base with your brand and style of comedy.  How did you come up with this? Mc Shem as a brand is a lover of people, it does more than just the regular business; it prioritises building client relationships, client satisfaction and mutual benefit. My style of comedy came out of the need to get my audience actively involved. I do stand up comedy naturally, where I talk and the audience laugh and relax. However, my style of comedy is unique such that I carry my audience along ‘by fire, by force’. On the other hand, it has been really interesting and I want to appreciate my fans for their love and commitment. 

What were your parents’ reactions when they discovered your love for comedy?They were positive about my career and they gave me all the support I needed, especially my mum.  Yes, they had always encouraged me all the way, but my dad did not want anything to affect my studies, just like every other parents. Although sometimes I had to leave school to anchor events and do comedy, but I always had it in mind that I must graduate successfully.

What really dignifies you from other rising comedians?I would say it’s been more of how you see yourself, a lot of comedians see comedy as something they do for the fun of it, but I see it as life, I see it as a business. I see it as a dream which has to be fulfilled, I see it as a chance to put smiles and laughter on people’s faces and most importantly, as a means to meet my financial obligations.

How do you draw inspiration?Everyday activities, interactions and observation inspire me. I also have mentors; Gbenga Adeyinka has taught me the need for observation, as Alibaba will say, ‘it’s not mostly about what you have prepared from home, most times it is about what you can be creative with at that moment when you have the microphone in your hands and an audience in front of you.’

How will you describe your sudden rise in the industry?I will say what appear to be a sudden rise isn’t sudden for me. I believe more in the gradual process, no matter where I may seem to be right now, I have not started at all.  I may not be where I want to be yet, but I am far from where I used to be, I don’t have a lot to be boastful of, but I have so much to be grateful for.

Is it true that the caucus you joined was responsible for your sudden rise? I don’t know about any caucus but as a comedian there is need to have senior colleagues that can always put you through on unclear issues, give you advice, admonition, and support all the way. I believe you cannot climb the ladder of success alone, even if you have the zeal; you need people to put you in the right direction.

With your little experience in the industry, would you say you are contended with the state of the industry?The comedy industry some years back did not have so much recognition like it does now; it doesn’t also mean that it cannot be better. There is always a room for improvement. However, if we will be sincere, the industry is growing at a very rapid speed. The Nigeria comedy industry is one that has gone a long way in helping lots of people, especially the youth earn an honest living and I see it as one that will still greatly evolve much more than it is right now. I see it standing shoulder high with any other industry in the entertainment world.

How successful are you as a comedian?It all depends on my definition of success. For some, success is when you are able to get an apartment, buy a car, look good always, have millions in your account and so on. However, success, for me, is fulfilment. I have met people; from politicians, intellectuals, great men of God to business owners, and have worked for respected individuals, brands for corporate or social events and I have also been able to get things people older than me dreamt of.  But in all, I still find great joy in playing with those children who are less privileged; I enjoy contributing my own little quota, putting smiles on the faces of people. Success is how much I can share, and on that account, I will say I am successful but I still want more, like Oliver twist, (Laughs).

Could you recall your greatest and most embarrassing performance in your career?  I do not have a best performance but what I will not forget in a long time was my awesome performance at the redemption camp before over five million people. Another one was my performance at a function the new Vice president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo graced. He appreciated my intellect as well as passed an encouraging comment. He said: “Let’s give a round of applause to the MC. I have laughed so hard in a long time. God bless you.”  On the other hand, I have not really had an embarrassing performance as such, but there are a few occasions where I did not get as much ovation from the crowd as expected.

What are your plans to improve on your game in the industry? There is so much on mind, because looking at the world’s greatest comedians they did not become big by doing stand up comedy or compere alone, Kelvin Hart for instance is an actor, Jerry Seinfeld also owns a comedy show. There are great plans in mind and they will all be explored by God’s grace.

1 comment: