Sunday 7 June 2015

Why Islamic music has changed —Queen Seidat

Known as the Queen of Zikir in Nigeria, Queen Seidat Almubarak is one of the leading female musicians promoting Islam. The mother of two speaks with SEYI SOKOYA on her music success story, the new face of Islamic music and the secret of her beauty. Excerpts:

Could you let us know how you discovered your talent for music?
It all started from Islamic school. My father was a popular Islamic scholar and I started from his tutelage. My mother is also a devoted Muslim (eleha). They sup­ported my dreams, I am grateful to them for that and the path they put me through. I am the first Islamic musician to take Is­lamic music outside Nigeria.
I believe that it is my calling and I am happy about it, be­cause Allah has been faithful to me since I started.

How has it been as a Muslim ar­tiste?It has has very interesting. Music has opened a lot of doors for me; it has taken me outside the shores of the country. It has really de­fined my life for better. I have been able to succeed against all odds. More so, I have never encountered any challenge, not even one, that could make me quit music.

It was in the news that a fellow Muslim artiste once impersonated you. How did you overcome the development?It was an experience I would not encourage. It was totally uncalled for. However, I have left everything to Allah, because whatever goes around comes around. I don’t want to remember it again, because I cannot imagine someone whom you once helped now plotting your downfall. Her attitude is purely anti-Islam. You don’t bite the finger that feeds you under any circumstance. I never expected it from her. It was a bad example for any aspir­ing artistes to emulate. I pray she repents. Honestly, I am not happy at all. How can someone be so obsessed with pull­ing down a career that has taken decades to build, because of selfish reasons; it is very painful and annoying. Who am I not to forgive her? My main concern is to make sure she stops parading herself as me.

­How have you been able to affect lives positively with your music?Let me start this way. My brand of music is unique and I have affected a lot of lives by preaching good doctrine and virtues in the society. I always have the underprivileged in mind and I always extend a hand of fellowship to them from what I have acquired from music.

It is believed that this generation of Muslim artistes have changed the face of that genre of music. What do you think is responsible for this?As we all know that this is an era of com­puter. Digital music has changed the face of music production and a lot of up-and­-coming Islamic singers, even in other genres of music are not patient to possess the full knowledge of good music. Until we go back to the drawing board, things will only get worse in the industry.

Fashion and different musical in­struments too have also conbtributed to this change, what is your take on this development?For me, I’m a role model to the up-and-­coming Islamic musicians in the country and I cannot be caught wearing provoca­tive dresses. As for the use of various mu­sical instruments, it is no more news that the trend has changed. But I want people to focus more on the messages than the compli­ments. Not everyone in the industry is there via divine calling, some are there be­cause of what they want to eat.

At present, you are a nursing mother. Don’t you think this will give your music career a setback?Nursing a child is one of the main re­sponsibilities of motherhood and it comes with a lot of things, apart from devoting time for the child. But then, being a nurs­ing mother is sweet, even as it is full of challenges. I am really enjoying it. More so, I will soon continue from where I stopped.

How do you combine being a mother with music without clash?God has made everything possible and easy for me. I thank God for the rare op­portunity. As you are aware that our work is mostly at weekends, I make a proper plan before any engagement and all things, most times, work as scheduled. More so, I thank my family, especially my spouse for believing in me and always standing in for me whenever I am away. He is my number one fan.

How successful are you as a musi­cian?I thank Allah for whatever I am today. I’m comfortable with what I have. I don’t see all my assets as my doing, but God’s.

You are very pretty. What does it cost you to look good?(Laughs...) I have no special treatment or preference. I only derive my beauty and satisfaction from God. I don’t have to spend a fortune to look good.

How do you handle your male fans?We cannot do without male admirers or fans, but I have been able to politely turn them down.
  
What should your fans expect from you when you are ready?We are working on our new album and by the special grace of God, it will be out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment