Monday 29 June 2015

In entertainment industry, one person does the job of 10 people —Joy Okpebri

Joy Okpebri is the CEO of her dream job, S&J Media Plus limited, an audio visual outfit based in Lagos. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the mother of two revealed why she dumped banking job for media production and her vision for a better media in Nigeria. Excerpts: 

Why did you venture into audio visual production business?
It was passion. I have always loved to do such because of my enthusiasm for creativity. I started the business from the scratch and during the process, I discovered that it was necessary to acquire virtually all the equipment needed to establish this kind of business. I soon reailsed that the finished  job we do outside is not usually encouraging. However, the whole story changed when we eventually expanded our office, as well as got the full equipment for both the audio and imagery. I would say the experience has been awesome since then. This development, no doubt, spurred my drive and also broadened my knowledge in editing and production. In fact, I have more comfort and joy in doing this, even in midnights. There has been testimonies and recommendations for our productions. All these are as a result of resilience and hard work, and also plus the fact that we have been able to take productions to another level. There had even been instances that many could not differentiate a wedding ceremony or conference from a movie production. This could only be achieved through  initiative.


How has it been since you started?
It has been tasking, but the passion has always been the joy. This is actually a joint business between my husband and I. We engage in it early before work and after, especially late in the night. But we later discovered that the concentration was not enough, so I decided to leave my 10-year-old banking job to face this fully. This is because nobody can run your vision the way you can. You cannot input your passion into another person’s soul. I had to take the risk by quitting the bank for a job that has been my passion so that I can fully concentrate on it. The interesting part of this is that nobody taught me what production entails. Survival has always been my drive. Anything a Nigerian believes in will definitely work for him. One of the major challenges we have though is getting good hands and those who also believe in your dream. The main issue is that everybody is interested in what they can convert to themselves, so man power is a major problem in the work force. Another thing is the financial aspect, but my husband has been supportive in this area. Timing is also another factor. I care less about the time I spend in any production. My major concern is to always give a quality and classy job to my clients.
       
As a woman, what has been your motivation in a business that is seen as men’s job?
I have always been strong right from my tender age and I also have confidence to push things, especially when I face difficulties. I don’t feel intimidated nor have inferiority complex. To me, this is not a gender profession. In fact, I don’t think anyone should be restricted to any profession because of gender, especially in the world we are today. Gender was not even in the picture when I ventured into this. I told you already that it has been my passion that has been the main motive and I have never regretted setting up this business.

Editing and subtitling are one of the major challenges, especially in movie production. How have you been able to tackle this?
Honestly, this is an issue which should be tackled in no time. I can predict and spot some errors in the productions of any Nigerian movie. It is really an issue in this country because everybody likes to cut corners. People don’t appreciate creativity when it comes to media or film making. They don’t like to follow the due process as it applies in foreign film-making. There, we have every section of the production being broken down. However, this is contrary to what happens in Nigeria where we have one person who is the editor of sounds, track and video. How do you expect all that to come together? It is uncalled for to pack the duties of about 10 people for one person and still expect quality job. It is certain that there will be mistakes along the line. All these, however, boils down to funding as putting in place professionals such as graphics, general editors among others to every section of the film production, costs. Another thing I have noticed that is grossly missing in the Nigerian movie industry is that works are not being proof-read professionally. This is why unpardonable grammatical errors and wrong subtitling  surface in many productions. You will also hear soundtracks that have no correlation with the movie, or shots that have nothing to do with the movie. It is always obvious that no one vetted it before it got into the market. It is always ideal to have a rework one to three before the final production. A good film production must always be rechecked frame by frame, as well as give it to other people to also critic, but nobody has time for that now. Their main focus is how to get the work out fast and start making money and this is as a result of the way the industry is, because nobody is there to safeguard anything. Everybody wants to make money and if you are too slow in pushing your works into the market, one might be pushed out of the game. Imagine the end product of a movie produced with N1 million in Nigeria and compare to that of abroad where they invest millions of dollars to shoot the same length of the movie. Lack of vetting and funds are the main challenges of movie production in Nigeria.

What do you think could solve these problems?      
Timing, concentration and educating the crew members will go a long way in achieving good results. One, music production is a two-way thing. The artistes are either impatient or being on the wrong track. I once told an aspiring artiste that he can’t sing after a professional assessment. It is sad that we have gradually moved away from media being a mirror and changing ills of the society, but producing ills into the society. It is pathetic when nobody is thinking about the meanings and messages of the music being produced in Nigeria and it is really selling once it is danceable. This is visible because it is trendy, but we still have a lot of people out there who care to do things right. We still have good producers out there who will not dare to contribute to what will constitute nuisance in the public domain, just as we also have some who care less about the negative impact a work will have on the society, except a necessary action from the censors board, but here in Nigeria, anything goes and anybody has the right to do anything as much as he or she has money to produce anything and everybody has the right to what they listen to. It is a free world here, but there are some people like us who still stand for quality. Personally, I would rather let you go with your money than to attach my name to a work that will tarnish my image or the legacy.

How many works do you have to your credit?
Currently, I have a content entitled “Karma: The Ripples”. I have three series completed already, while others are still under production. This production has been around for about two years and has gone through a lot of vetting. At present, we are interested in the image making company than the profit side of it. Our main goal here is to give out quality and perfection in whatever we lay our hands upon. This is why we have set up a one-stop media house in other not to follow another person’s time line because we have most of the things here if you can afford to take your time to get things right.  

How will you rate your outfit among other media set ups in the country?
I don’t think I am in the best position to do that, but the words of encouragement and complements have been overwhelming, especially from those who have visited or  used our facilities. For me, it is a dream come true and I am extremely happy that I could come up with an idea to impact positively into the society.

What will it cost anyone who wants to make use of these facilities?
On the cost, it is different and it also depends on what the clients want.

How have you been able to combine all these without any clash considering the fact that you are a wife, mother and also compared to other challenges?
It is really challenging but I have been able to scale through divine wisdom and support from my family, especially a massive one from my husband. My children grew up knowing that this is what I do. In fact, they act too; I also have a short film entitled “Life and Death” where they both featured. However, the entertainment thing had become part of the family, but that has not restricted us, especially my children not to cross carpet to other fields in the nearest future.

What is your advice for some women who are yet to take advantage of their passion or talents?
I want to implore them to act fast and also see the need to take their chances of becoming independent and not a liability irrespective of any challenges or confrontations. Inasmuch as whatever they lay their hands upon is genuine and decent they will definitely go places in it. For me, it was never rosy at my early life but I eventually overcame all odds through determination. I was once a petrol attendant, I later became a banker, I have been a farmer, publisher and eventually the CEO of dream job. I would say I have done it all. There is a space for everything and room to excel in any chosen career. I want every woman to understand that how you look is not the total package but part of the package. We should not be afraid to get our hands dirty as well as not to be afraid to start from the beginning. We were given birth to and also grew up the same way as men in the society. In fact, we have more capacity than men. We also need to hustle and work hard the way men does to meet their desired goals regardless of any distractions or challenges. Currently, things are gradually changing in the society today; people are willing to listen to women now, because of what some women have done in the past. We have a lot of features men don’t portray. We should not limit ourselves to what ages believe. A man can never be pretty as a woman inside out. We are the molding blocks of the society and men’s back bone; we are supposed to stir them forward.

Could you recall how life was as  a petrol attendant?
The fact remains that life is in phases. I did not come from a wealthy home; I grew up from a poor, humble background where education comes first. My father used to say that I don’t have house like my friends but you children are my houses. He was able to sponsor me for my first degree but I had to do my masters myself and had to do any kind of job just to make ends meet. Then I taught in a nursery and primary school and later followed a diesel tanker to Guinness in Lagos. It is just the willingness to work hard. Some people thought I started big or got whatever I have today on a platter of gold but that is far from the truth. I started from the scratch and thank God for the grace upon my life.

How would you describe your fashion sense?
Honestly, I am not fashion freak. I don’t see myself in that kind of world. I am not the kind of person who craves for fashion or follow fashion trend with keen attention, though people think I am a fashion freak. I know I will never go to a boutique that sells things five times it worth to impress anybody, because I don’t have the time to do such. I wear what is functional. I could wear bum-short or trousers if the occasion calls for it and I could put on canvas if I feel comfortable in it. Above all, I would say I am not fashion conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment