Tuesday 14 July 2015

My husband sacrificed his music career for me---Senwele Jesu

Evangelist Bukola Rachael Akinade, popularly known as Senwele Jesu, has become a force to reckon with in the gospel music industry. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the talented artiste, who is also the wife of the assembly pastor of Christ Apostolic Church (CAC), Lion of Judah, Ibadan, speaks on her recent coronation as the queen of gospel music, fifteen year on stage and 40th birthday, her take on the state of gospel music in Nigeria among other issues. Excerpts:

You recently received the blessings of the Gospel Music Association of Nigeria (GOMAN) president and was crowned as the queen of gospel music. How do you feel about this development?
I am indebted to God for whatever I am today and whatever good you find in me today, He is the reason. I can't ascertain what really prompted such development. I believe he must have been led by the spirit of God.
What is your relationship like with the GOMAN president, Timi Osikoya?

The president is like a father to me and I respect him so much; he usually calls me omooba. I have been one of his hidden disciples in the music industry ever before I became close to him. Whenever he releases an album then, I will go to Gate in Ibadan to purchase the cassette. Though I didn't have a tape to play it, I always played it in my neighbour's room and I learnt a lot from his works.

How have you contributed to the growth of the gospel music association?

I am a bonafide member of the association. I pay my dues and if there is any need that requires my attention, I don't hesitate.


It seems the association has not been active for some time now. What do you think is responsible for this?
I can't really say. However, as you know, there are phases in life. There are moments of silence and noise; there are times of storms and that of normalcy. We are passing through a lot underground but above all, God is in control. I am not saying that there are problems in GOMAN, but if there is silence in a particular place, it could be suggested that something is wrong. To be candid though, the association is doing well.

Could the emergence of a faction have led to the weakness of GOMAN and don't you see this as a setback in God's vineyard?
I will not agree with that. The association is still active and remains the only relevant association which gatherers stakeholders of the gospel music industry in Nigeria. This is the only household name for all gospel artistes. I can't say for a fact that I wasn't aware of the other faction, but I don't belong or follow their activities. It is normal, following the fact that it is an association that comprises of human beings and when the flesh comes into action, if care is not taken, there is little or nothing one can do about it.

Do you also support the idea of infusing secular content into gospel music'There is a Yoruba proverb that says 'if you want to catch a monkey, you behave like one?
I don't believe in such to an extent; thank God the church is growing and technology is advancing. You cannot compare the songs of the old times and now. I am not talking about the spiritual content, but technology advancement. Then, there was no drum set, sax, guitar and other sophisticated music instruments. They only make use of the agbamole and they have to sing in line with the songs that can go with the agbamole. More so, gospel artistes were not as many like we have now. As much as we want to improve, we should not deviate from the normal doctrine. I want to state categorically that I will not celebrate bringing the world into the church. More so, we need orientations and seminars on this issue so as to bring back sanity and sanctity in God's vineyard.

How are you able to sustain your style of music?
Nobody receives any lasting thing except from God. Initially, I never dreamt of becoming a musician coupled with the fact that my father was a disciplinarian who is not interested in anything else aside education. However, I love music dearly right from my teenage years, though the prophecy had been that my mother will give birth to a minister of God and the expectation was to see someone preaching the word of God to a large congregation. However, while I was in school studying Secretariat Administration, 1994 to be precise, my pastor told me that there is light in me. Another revelation also came that I will become a vessel unto honour and as God will have it, I waxed an album. My major challenge then was that nobody believed in my dream and I was all alone striving to be heard. I also lost my father along the line. My music, Senwele Jesu, was also seriously criticised by some, but I was able to survive with a few people who believed in my dream. God eventually had His way in my life to the extent that the song was a hit and also brought me into the limelight. In fact, those who had once castigated the song now canvass for its rendition whenever I go for ministration.

How did you receive the inspiration to compose the song, Senwele Jesu?
I have never been to Ilorin before I waxed the album, but it is a common song in Kwara State. I was heading for a programme in Lagos and while I was waiting to board a cab to Alapere at Ketu garage, I sighted a crowd which surrounded a sound studio shop. I thought it was a fight from the garage; I had to move a bit far from the garage. I later noticed that there was no pandemonium and eventually discovered that the crowd was dazed by Iya Aladuke's song. Aside that, I love anything traditional, especially music and attires. However, I had a different view about the scenario and at that spot I told God that if it is His will, He should give me the grace to transform the song to a gospel song, because there are some aspects in the song that do not glorify God. I received the inspiration on the midnight of the third day of my experience at the garage. The amazing thing is that I did not buy that cassette, but the little I heard was what I worked upon. The outcome of this was what brought me into the limelight.

How have you been able to manage your band?
It is through divine grace. I am very strict and do not tolerate nonsense. I made my band members realise that this is not a band but a ministry. Anything is allowed in a band, but when it has to do with a ministry, it is operated like a church and according to God's will. I thank God that it has been one big family. I am proud to say it to the whole world that none of my band members and myself go on stage under any influence whatsoever. In fact, I take it to the extent that they don't marry each other. I ensure I know everyone's spouses to discourage fornication. If for example, we travel to perform and there are no enough rooms and they all have to sleep in a particular room, I know I am safe.

Why do you like putting on big hats and high heels?

It is my style and I really love it. My gowns are always long and very bogus, so, I need something that will raise me. It is not that I am particular about hats; it depends on what I am wearing. The truth is that I have them in sizes.

You were once accused of witchcraft following your sudden rise and you have not reacted to the allegation. What could have prompted such?
Don't let us forget the fact that we are in Yoruba land. Also, when people have done a particular research on you without reaching a compromise, they give you a name and begin to ask questions such as 'when did that little girl arrive'; 'where is she coming from' and all sorts of insinuations. I was named 'a rain that fell without any sign'. I simply let God's will come to pass and to the glory of God, I will celebrate my fifteenth year since I started music professionally, alongside my 40th birthday, this year.

Since Senwele Jesu brought you to limelight, is that your favourite album?

It is not my favourite, but it was the one that brought me into the limelight. In fact, I have not done my favourite; I am still trying to give my best to produce my most loved song. To the glory of God, I have eight albums and none of them are my favourite.

How have you been able to balance being a wife, mother and musician?

I thank God I married my friend and as a mother, my children are so dear to me. I don't do anything to jeopardise them of their education or well being. In fact, I don't have a maid. I usually plan ahead to ensure they don't feel lonely in the home. My sister and some of the ladies in my band have been helpful in this area and my husband takes care of the home when we don't go out for programmes together. However, I thank God for my children's understanding and their love for us. It has even come to the level that they query me if don't go for ministration, especially on Fridays. They will ask whether I'm sick or tired. So, I really thank God for my family for believing in my career.

Why does your husband accompany you to shows?

He plays a vital role in the band, especially during our ministration. He always ensures the stability of our performance. People don't usually notice his presence because he is not usually with us on stage. He mixes with the crowd to control and monitor our activities so as to ensure our ministration is successful. I am not surprised about his enthusiasm on the success of my music career because he is also a musician as well; he had to quit his musical career because of me. He made the sacrifice for me. He said I should continue with music and that he will concentrate on his pastoral mission. I don't know how to repay him for this sacrifice, but I know God will reward him. He is my manager and I really love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment