Tuesday 14 July 2015

What I tell men who woo me---Florence Onuma

Nollywood actress, Florence Onuma, is not a new face in the  movie industry.  Though she has not been featuring in movies lately, her contributions to the craft can’t be easily forgotten. The veteran thespian, in this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, speaks on her new comedy series, Akpos &  Company, her career and proffers solutions to marriage problems. Excerpts:

You have been in the industry for decades; could you still recall how it started?
I graduated in 1991 from the University of Jos, where I studied Theatre Arts. My husband studied abroad and we got married after school. I had done some stage plays in UniJos during the university days. I would say I started acting before I got married. So, I combined acting with my marriage.

How has life been as a mother and actress?
Honestly, God has been faithful to my family and my career. For me, the stress in the job is what makes it interesting. I’m a hardcore production person and I have never been tired of acting. This zeal might be one of the reasons I am still relevant in the game.
 What lesson would you say you have learnt as a veteran actress over the years?
The industry has really taught me so many things and I have also discovered lots of things on the job. I’m a very peaceful person. I don’t want tension around me and I’m not contentious, because I can be hot-tempered. I’m very emotional and don’t like people taking me for granted. I’m a loving person and I love God. 

Tell us about your marriage and what has sustained it?
Nothing has sustained my marriage except God. I’ve been married for 23 years. I respect my husband a lot. One of the secrets is that I don’t allow my job to get into my head. I’m like any other woman working in other sectors. I have never neglected my husband. My first loyalty is to my family. Marriages are crashing everywhere. Again, there are lots of pressure in the entertainment industry. Our husbands should please also understand. They should understand that at times we may have to hug a stranger; we may have to be away a couple of times, especially at night. All these things come with the profession.

Considering your beautiful look,it is normal for men to make passes at you, how do you handle them?
Laughs…Yes, but if you woo me I will tell you I’m married.  I know I must respect my marriage vow. People should learn to respect their matrimonial beds.  I still go to the market to buy things and cook for my husband. I wouldn’t want him and my kids to eat what they should not eat. I create time for my children and tell them to live the way I live.  I tell them not to behave as if they don’t have anybody to chastise them.

You are a mother of twins, how did you cope with nursing them and also acting by the side?
My husband, Chijioke was supportive and he’s still.  We were friends before we got married and he helped out a lot. We were not seeing ourselves as husband and wife but as siblings. I also made sure that the home did not suffer. My twins; Michael Chukwuemeka and Michelle Chinyere are a blessing to us and their growing up has been interesting. I took a break from acting immediately I gave birth to them, but I returned fully to Nollywood in 1994.

What is your take on the several cases of failed marriages in the movie industry?
Each time people talk about marriage break up, they keep referring to Nollywood, as if marriages don’t crash in other endeavours. But on the other hand, why would a married woman live like a single lady, simply because she is an actress?  Why would you live as if your husband and children don’t matter to you? These and so many other things are behind most marriages that had crashed, especially in this industry. When people do not have the fear of God, then the marriage is bound to fail. There are some women that earn more than their husbands and become arrogant. Women are meant to be helpmates. There are times when the man may not have money; it is left for the woman to support. Women should learn from the virtuous woman in the Bible, in the book of Proverbs.

What has life taught you over the years?
Life has taught me that integrity matters a lot. I also try to be consistent in what I do, irrespective of any challenges. I would not have come this far without God and my love for the industry. I give my best in everything I lay my hands upon. 

Can you briefly explain your role in the comedy drama, Akpos & Company?
I played the role of Lovina, Akpos mother and ‘Old Soldier’s wife. Lovina is an Igbo woman married to an Urhobo man. Lovina loves money and loves her family more. Incidentally, she has two children; Jane, and Akpos, who is the main character in the hilarious drama.

How was the experience interpreting Lovina?
It was great, especially when you consider the fact that I haven’t played a comedy role before. Akpos & Company which will begin to air soon on television stations is my first comedy soap. I enjoyed the role, acting alongside veterans like old soldier (Eliel Otete), Ajaka, who’s known as Baba Nothing Spoil (Jerry Onwordi) and teaching and mentoring the younger generation of actors. It was fun all through.

Is there any similarity between yourself and your character Lovina?    
A bit. Florence is an industrious woman and she has two children, twin boys. She loves her children equally unlike Lovina whose love tilted towards the delinquent, Akpos. The role I played was very expressive. Every role is challenging. Playing Old Oldier’s wife also was challenging, because Old Soldier is aggressive but Lovina has his antidote to his aggression. I discovered or I’m discovering another aspect of me in acting. Playing Lovina in a comedy series has added to my experience as an actress.

What would you say viewers can learn from the comedy series?
Apart from being highly entertaining, ‘Akpos and company’ is also educative and instructive. Akpos is an everyday character in young people, the youth will bond with the comedy flick as it x-rays juvenile delinquency, youthful exuberance and the modern day challenges of youths in Nigeria. As bold as Akpos is, he was never labeled a thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment