Sunday 10 April 2016

Clerics, family, associates, others honour Evangelist Ebenezer Obey @ 74 • I’ll use my remaining time to serve God, he says

The venue of Decross Gospel Mission, Headquarters of Praise, Mulero, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State, the ministry of Evangelist Ebenezer Obey-Fabiyi, who is also the General Overseer, last Sunday, was filled to capacity with dignitaries from all walks of life, who came to felicitate with the music legend in a thanksgiving service to mark the 74th birthday celebration of the musician.


The celebration, which later became a carnival-like event, was well attended by politicians, public office holders, stakeholders in the entertainment industry, representatives of orthodox, pentecostal and white garment churches, 14 representatives from the Performing Arts Department, Olabisi Onabanjo University, among others.

The event also had the attendance of the Ogun State governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, who was represented by his Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Mr Taiwo Adeoluwa; the Osile Oke Ona, Egba, Oba (Dr) Adedapo Tejuoso and his three wives; the Iyalode of Egbaland, Mrs Alaba Lawson; Lagos State Commissioner for Environment, Mr Babatunde Adejare; Senator Lekan Mustapha; Chief Jide Osinubi; Prince Adeyemi Kamorudeen; Chief Olurotimi Daramola; Mr George Odeyemi; Chief Alani Obaleye; Chief Layi Akande; Mr Femi Esho; Mr Laolu Ekins, among others.

The children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, extended families and members of the church at large were also on ground to celebrate with Obey, also referred to as Miliki maestro.

In his speech, Amosun described the music icon as a philanthropist and a worthy icon of the Gateway State, Nigeria and beyond, stating that “Evangelist Ebenezer Obey is my father and I hold him in high esteem. Ogun State is proud of him. His impact has gone beyond the state, Nigeria and has also spread to the entire world. His 74th birthday is a huge milestone and the state and the entertainment industry have really benefited from his God-given talent.”

The celebrant did not hesitate to demonstrate his excitement and gratitude to God for the grace to witness the event.

In his response, Obey said: “I am really glad and overwhelmed to witness my 74th birthday and this is why I have decided to celebrate it in the presence of God. I appreciate God for the gift of life and everyone that came from far and near to celebrate with me, because I only gave four days notice and what I am seeing today gladdens my heart. I never knew so many people would be present. Above all, I thank everyone. God actually established my life. I don’t have more rivers to cross, especially for the worldly things. I will use my remaining time to serve God.”


High points of the event were the performance of Evangelist Tope Alabi and her band; a display of the Performing Arts students of OOU; the rendition of the grandchildren of the music legend, and a short documentary of the biography of the celebrant.

The preacher at the occasion, Reverend Wilson Badejo in his sermon, noted that the occasion was accepted before God, because of the fact that Obey deemed it fit to draw people to the presence of God, just as he said that the celebration is not about the gift of life, but for a continuity of his talent even in heaven.

Badejo, however, charged youths and new generation artistes to emulate the music legend who has been bestowed with God’s grace even at his old age, adding that, “Obey is really enjoying the grace of God and an uncommon gift for the versatility, relevance and wealth of experience in the music industry. He has impacted many lives with his gift of music. I am happy he is being celebrated in his life time in sound health. I pray God will grant him more years of success.”

Apostle James Salako, Reverend Adebisi, Reverend Julius Bamidele and a host of other clerics also seized the opportunity to pray for the celebrant, while he was also presented with gifts.

1 comment: