Sunday 6 March 2016

I’ll act nude if... —Fisayo Ajisola

Versatile actress, Fisayo Ajisola, otherwise known as Freezon, has carved a niche for herself in the entertainment industry with her acting prowess, dynamism and beauty. The graduate of
Biochemistry from the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Ogun State, is also a musician and a model. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, she opens up on her career and choice of man. Excerpts:


Early this year, you promised that you would take the industry by storm, how are you planning to achieve this?Yes, I made that promise and I meant it. I will start by saying that the Lord has been good to me since the beginning of the year and has been helping me to achieve all the goals I have set before me. Recently, I featured in Jenifa’s Diary series and my face was also on Chapeau Wine. I want to concentrate more on my acting career. The era of combining academics with movie location is over. Now that I am done with my first degree, I have the ample time to pursue my dream; I am ready for the game and confident that it is my time to shine. I am not new in the industry, it is just that I have not been able to give it more time because of school. This is because I didn’t want to drop out of school. I am a very organised person and I know how to manage my time and life.

Tell us more about your modelling career, especially your deal with the wine company?The truth is that I have not been taking modelling seriously because I have been doing more of acting as well as singing, but acting has been my predominant talent. I wasn’t conscious of wine deal until last  September. My agent informed me that some of his clients who went through my pictures would love to have a deal with us. So, I had to do more photo shoots and they were dazed with what they saw. That was what led to the discovery.

You are an actress, musician and also a model. How are you coping with all these?I don’t have any problem handling these jobs. I am happy that I am flexible to combine them without stress. I can act, sing and flaunt my curves. Meanwhile, don’t let us forget that all these still fall under entertainment. I see myself as an all-round entertainer.

How was the experience like featuring in the Jenifa’s Diary?The experience was awesome. I honoured the invitation for the casting and I believe I did well. Funke Akindele, who is the brains behind the project liked it. I am pleased with my role and I will do it over and over again.

You have also featured in ‘This Life’, how was it like?It was wonderful and I am glad to be part of the PEFTI production, especially with the fact that I played a different role; a negative role from my real person. I had to act like a difficult person who makes life miserable for people around her. I was glad I interpreted the role very well.

How has your life been since you took up acting as a full time career?Acting has been fun. For me, acting is all I want to do, though it may look somehow that I went to study Biochemistry at the university, I still have a strong urge to go back into acting because it is one thing I feel very easy to do. I find it easy to interact and interpret my roles, though it comes with a lot of stress to try to convince people that you can actually interpret a particular role and at the same time going for casting and auditions. The good part of it is that I am enjoying the roles I have been playing and it is satisfying.

You said it is sweet and fun; fun in what sense?Fun cannot be categorised based on the length of the industry. For me, one can always derive fun when one goes to locations  or take a particular role.As a result of this, one can easily admit that this is really fun. So, you cannot categorise fun with time. Being in the front of the camera and delivering my lines come with a lot of pleasure.

Which role will you always want to take at any given time?One has to be versatile as an actor, so I take whatever role I am given so far it is to pass a message across. Personally, I like playing crazy and sexy roles. It is really nice for me playing these roles. I played a sexy role in one of the soaps entitled “Story of Us” that is on air currently. Mind you, one doesn’t have to be naked to play sexy roles. The Nigerian mentality towards movie production or films is really affecting the progress of the industry. There are principles you need to adopt if you want to interpret a character very well. Your mind, head and every part of your body must speak the character. It doesn’t mean you have to go naked before you can act a sexy role. I can dress well and still interpret a sexy role. It depends on how you carry yourself in front of your audience.

Would you take script to perform nude from any movie producer?It is funny, because I have always thought of this. I don’t know why people take nudity as the peak of immorality. What would you say about murder case and other crazy things that people do? But people say all sort when they hear about sex or condemn people for taking nude pictures. People have forgotten that we are presenting a character. We are in a make-believe industry and we have to make things professional. This is the only way we can grow and show our expertise.  If I have to take a script that I have to go nude, it is not me but the character I am playing. For example, if I am to play a role of a prostitute and I have to go nude to do it, then why not? It is not as if I would have to stand and strip naked in front of the camera. No, it is about motion. It is not for fun, but to define a particular character. So, I will find it pleasurable to act that character in such a way that I could pass my message across if that is what it will  take to convince people about the character. Acting is not about things happening real. You are the character and you have to make it real when the director says ‘action.’ So, I see no big deal in it if my character has to go to the process to showcase being nude. I don’t know why people in this part of the world react aggresively negative when they hear nudity. We should always have a way to go about it to balance culture and the reality of life.

How are the challenges like in the industry?It is always a two side of a coin for any job or profession. We have the good and bad side. To me, there is no job that is rosy and if you make up your mind to follow a particular path, you should always be able to stand by it through thick and thin irrespective of the outcome. I am a positive-minded person and through my NGO, I want to make positive impact in people, but nevertheless, life has the way of making us see the way it is; whichever way it comes. I know I will be able to withstand the test of time.

What also brought about the idea of the NGO you run?To be candid, I see that as my baby and also part of my responsibility to give back to the society, especially the needy. I thank God that we have been able to affect lives positively with this initiative for some years now. This is a vision God gave to me to impact into lives, especially to the young generation and I was able to gather people of this like mind to make it a reality. And by God’s grace we have been able to use this NGO, the Jewel Empowerment Foundation (JEF) to orientate school leavers, underprivileged, orphans and people living with HIV/AIDS, among others. Our core target are the children and the youth. We also organise entrepreneurship programmes for undergraduates. I would say it is basically for the youth. I am confident that we have a lot of things in stock for this year. One of the reasons this vision is maintained it to sensitise people, because I believe that one of the biggest problems of Nigerians is our poor orientation and mentality about life, especially in the area of low self-esteem, corruption and the common mentality of the Nigerian youth on how to make quick money. Nobody is ready to think rightly and learn how to be successful in life. The NGO is to impact and teach people to lead a normal and good life. I believe that the best way to help any child is to start training such child at a very young age. We help a child to get it right from the tender age so as to be useful to himself or herself and to the nation at large. We need to concentrate on the children if we want a better Nigeria.

How do you intend to establish yourself in the industry and stay relevant for a long time?My time and life are in God’s hands. I have my plans and I know God has designed my life for success. I am not in a hurry to flourish in the industry, but I know my time is near. It is true that we have a lot of people coming in and going out because some people get frustrated along the line and eventually opt out; some people are also confused in the industry because they don’t know what to do. As for me, I am here and I know what I am doing. I am not threatened by anyone in the industry, because acting is beyond facing the camera. I believe in what I am doing. The words of encouragement I have received so far have given me enough confidence that I can go far in the industry. Aside this, I know I am going to excel in this business.

What will make you dump acting?I used to say if marriage would stop me from acting, I won’t get married. But as I grew older, I have come to understand that I can combine the two and I believe the man for me will allow me pursue my acting career, because it is one thing that really makes me happy. It is one thing that I am certain that I can do very well. I am confident that I have the qualities and I don’t struggle to interpret my roles.

Are you saying you don’t have a man in your life?I think I will love to keep that private. But I believe my kind of man must be a loving man. He must allow me pursue my career, make me happy and love me for who I am. I am not a kind of woman that emphasises on the physical appearance of a man. What I look for in a man is not what the ordinary eyes can see. The intangible things that can move me to a man include love, patience, trust and things that we cannot quantify.   

Have you ever been harassed in the industry?

Many young people in the industry think that when they are good looking, they can always have their way by sleeping with any producer and land the big roles. No matter how many times a director sleeps with any lady, if one is not a good actor, one can’t force it to come if you can’t deliver. Back to the question on if I have ever been harassed. No. The truth is that they make passes, but that is not the subject of the matter, the question is can this person sincerely interpret this role? If yes, thumbs up, but if it is no, they will just sleep with one for fun. Fortunately, I have been getting jobs without that.

What is your assessment of the movie industry?

I see the industry as a big place that can contain anybody and even those who have not joined. So no one should be threatened by anyone. It is growing very big and it is an industry that one can invest in. I am ready to give it all it takes morally to make my mark and enjoy my stay for as long as God permits.

Why haven’t you featured in Yoruba movies?

We have choices, I am not saying I cannot feature in Yoruba films, though I know I have been doing more of English. I am proud to be a Yoruba girl and there are also some lines of Yoruba in some of the soaps I have done. I believe I can handle any script for any Yoruba movie.

What is your take on provocative dressings?

I don’t know what you mean by provocative dressing, because what is fine on my body might be provocative to you and what is ugly on your body might be fine to me. So, I believe in whatever that is attractive, lovely, fine and sexy. Everybody has to dress sexy to be attractive. Every woman has to dress sexily to be beautiful and attractive to their spouses. Even men have to dress sexily. So, whether provocatively or not, the most important thing is that one must be beautiful, attractive, sexy and be comfortable with what one is wearing.

How will you describe yourself?

As I said earlier, I am a very organised person. I am choleric and one of our characteristics is that we are good organisers and handle many things at a time and still come out with a very good result. So, that has really helped me, but most importantly, I take things one after the other no matter how it may look because I don’t like to be choked up.  

How do you handle  male admirers?

It is normal. People who are not in the industry also have admirers. I have been able to manage them very well. I welcome people because I am not harsh, but there is usually a boundary. I will let them know their limits.

How do you relax?

I take time to relax or sometimes even go on vacation to refresh. You will agree with me that acting and running an NGO is stressful and time-consuming. So, I always ensure I relax well and sleep a lot.

What is your greatest physical asset?  

Could I ascertain this? People like so many things about me; some say they love my eyes balls, lips and set of teeth whenever I smile. Some even said they love my face, they even said that I have an oblong face. Some also picked my nose, skin and my thigh. I think my physical asset is me; my whole body. I am also photogenic because a lot of people love my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment