Saturday 1 August 2015

KSA revealed: What my aborted US tour cost me

King of Juju music, Sunday Adeniyi, a.k.a KSA is man who believes God has blessed his life and always wants to give back to the people as much as he can. Weeks back, his United States (US) tour was aborted due to what the US embassy described as technical problem. He shed more light on the cancelled trip in this exclusive interview with SEYI SOKOYA. Excerpts:

There have been negative reports about your aborted US tour. Does it really bother you that you didn’t go on the trip?
Actually it does. For one to have planned for a trip but some circumstances beyond one’s control stopped one from embarking on the journey. It is really a pain in the heart. How many people will I explain to, especially fans outside the country who have been waiting for the show. We were to visit about thirty states in the US, shoot some videos and visit more places. But all these were not successful because of what happened.  Failure to make the trip was not from our end, I mean my band and I. it was as a result of a challenge beyond our control and even that of the US embassy, because we were made to realise at the end of the day that the embassy’s system got crashed and we were not the only one that it affected. It was a general problem and the US embassy has apologised to all that were affected.
You could have used your influence and recognition to make the trip, but you did not. Why?
The truth is that the issue was beyond the control of anybody. You know I would have made some moves to make the trip possible, because of my fans and the fact that my integrity was at stake. I actually did all I could to ensure the trip was successful. I wrote letters and made some important calls all to ensure that my band and I make the trip, but it was not successful. In fact, I would have cancelled the tour if I had my way, because the tour was almost half gone while I was still trying to get things done. It is painful, considering the efforts one has put into it; the hopes we had raised and the number of shows we turned down. But God knows the best. There was no reason for us to miss the trip if the technical problem did not occurr, because we were fully prepared. Our visa is of two kinds; I used 01 while the rest of the band used 02 and we were in a group, because it was a collective forum where we were to be given a date. Meanwhile, our petition had already arrived. Also, it is now more news that every traveling process now follows due process and has to be done online unlike what it used to be. It was later we were informed about the technical problem the embassy had that affected many people including us and it eventually led to the cancellation of the tour.
How did your promoters abroad feel about the incident?
The situation was not strange to them; they were fully updated. They tried to make things work even from their end to make the tour successful, but they were helpless after the embassy’s announcement of technical problems. As I said earlier, my 01 visa was ready, while 02, which belongs to the band was being processed and we had to follow due process.
But the public had it that three of your members who were unable to process their visa on time caused the cancellation of the tour?
No, that’s not true. As I said earlier, we do our things collectively as a group. In fact, we had all completed our forms including the visa fees and nobody was left behind. There was nothing of such and peradventure such occurred, I don’t think it should raise any dust, because such person’s name will be deleted. But truthfully there was nothing like that. Even though the challenge was strange to us, it has also taught us a lesson and we will never forget what we have learnt from it.
Your fans both  at home and abroad have voiced their discomfort about the situation. From their reactions on social media platforms, it was obvious that they were really sad, what do you have to say to this?
I sincerely apologise to them and I promise to make it up to them. And, to my agents and promoters abroad, I will link up with them in person at the appropriate time. I will organise a press conference whenever I visit the U.S. But as it is now, an angry fan can be difficult to tame. I can’t imagine what would happen if I decide to show up there to apologise at this time.
Are your fans violent?
 It is not that my fans are rude or violent, but I imagine what they would have gone through having discovered that we would not be coming for the show. But I assure you that we will do something about it. As a musician, I think the best thing to do now is to apologise
What lesson has this taught you?
We can’t start to discuss what we have learnt from this experience, because we had been on it since last year October. But with what has just happened, much still needs to be done in preparation for future tours. More so, it has opened our eyes to the new system at the embassy. Things are really changing and we have to live with that. As a band, we never had any problem with the embassy, because we perform as a team but all that has changed now. We now have to apply online, one will even have to receive his visa through DHL. But I think this new technology will address some security problems.  So, basically, I have learnt a lot.
What was the reaction of your band members when they discovered that the tour had been called off?
It wasn’t new to them, because we were in it together and we felt disappointed as a band. Those who reside outside Lagos had to relocate to Lagos, because we could be called for interview at the embassy any time. It was a painful experience and we are gradually getting over it. They are also concerned about the efforts and stress I went through in ensuring the tour was successful, but as God will have it, we were held back in Nigeria. We have started performing in Nigeria again, because we cancelled a lot of shows as a result of the tour and I think the band is gradually getting over it and they are  happy now that we have moved on. 
You will be celebrating your 70th birthday next year, how do you intend to make this memorable?
The truth is that it is not about celebrating my 70th birthday either in an elaborate way or not. It is my desire to always appreciate God for His grace upon my life. He has, indeed, made the journey of my life beautiful. I put everything in God’s hands, because the day is not here yet, but I trust God that He will grant me more years and sound health on earth. Plans are ongoing and I hope it will be a remarkable age to celebrate. 
You have also revealed your plans to establish a radio station in your home town, how were you able to achieve this?
It has been under wraps years back, but I think it is time to make it happen. This is part of my plans to contribute positively to my society, especially my source. It is not a strange thing, but it will be the first of its kind to establish an electronic medium designed to promote music and culture in Nigeria. The name of the company is Music and Culture Communications (M&C) which has an assemblage of core professionals. I decided to start from Ondo State, because that is my origin. We applied for both Ibadan and Ondo as a kick off, because we felt the need to have the headquarters in Ondo and later spread it to other parts of the country.  This is because it is the only unique station that will be based on music and culture. We are not disregarding news or other segments, but those two things are our major priorities.
Why did it take you long to apply and even establish this?
You will agree with me that it is not an easy thing to apply for a radio license in Nigeria, because there are many things involved. The Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) is very strict with the issuance of license to an individual. I applied during former president Olusegun Obasanjo’s regime but I was not given until recently. I was not discouraged with the long process because it is my wish and I have made up my mind to achieve it. Aside the license process, it is not also easy to set up a modern radio station. This is why we have been so patient with the set up. We wanted to be sure that we have core professionals and a well-equipped outfit.
What really prompted you to join the league of radio station owners in the industry?
It has always been my passion to leave a legacy that people will always talk about. It is my dream to create a platform that will promote music and culture of my people. The station is established in Ondo West and the people are really happy about it. Aside that, it is also part of giving back to my society, because it will also boost employment in the state. Most importantly, whoever is going to be part of the company must be driven by the vision.
Now that the radio station has been settled, what other things do you plan to have? 
I want to say the radio station is just the beginning, because I believe there is more to KSA aside his music. This is part of it and there are still more to come. I want to urge my fans to be on the lookout for more beautiful initiatives from the stable of KSA. The plans are in the pipeline and my prayer is that God should give me the grace to accomplish them all. For instance, I thought it was the end when I bagged a doctorate degree, but it turned out to be the begining of beautiful things. It is a good thing for whoever owns a radio station to also set up a television station. But I want to thank God for where he has brought me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment