Sunday 23 August 2015

I’m neither a fake nor ordained bishop---Lord Bishop

Despite his HND in Accountancy, B.Sc.in Economics, Ph.D. in Financial Management, MBA in Marketing and Membership of the Charted Instituted of Cost and Management Accountants (ACMA), gospel artiste, Atomode Benjamin, popularly known as Lord Bishop did not hesitate to dump all for the work of God. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the Kogi State-born artiste reveals his success story and his take on the gospel industry. Excerpts: 
 What is your take on Nigeria’s fast growing gospel entertainment industry?
 I feel so excited and happy. We have slept for so long and allowed the secular industry to rule. I’m glad we have woken up and above all stepped up our game from what it used to be.

Many gospel songs are, nowadays, relatively not different from the secular industry’s. Could this be part of the development you refer to?
 We are in the same music industry but what differentiates us is the spirit and presence of God in our songs. The gospel music is on a mission to transform lives, win souls for Christ, edify lives, inspire and bless lives, but the secular is basically to entertain and perhaps inspire.

What about those who infuse secular music with gospel undertones?
 Secular is secular, gospel is gospel. Do you refer to beats? Beats belong to all kinds of music, whether gospel or secular. As I said earlier, what makes the difference is the spirit and presence of God the song carries.

But there have been claims that not all gospel artistes are real. How would you react to this insinuation?

May I not judge man; let God be the judge. You could easily discover whether a song is godly or not from some artistes’ lyrics. However, no matter how blind a man is, when he touches cold or hot water, he knows the difference.

 What really qualifies a person as a gospel artiste?
A person who lives a holy life, preaches holiness and propagates the gospel, in my opinion, is a gospel artiste.

What is your take on the state of the gospel music industry?
 Drastically improved; as I said earlier, we are taking over. We were sleeping and not doing things anyhow all in the name of gospel, but now we are set to take our rightful place in the industry. We are now a force to be reckoned with. We are now involved in government, corporate, and religious activities. This was not the trend before, but we now have more platforms to spread the message and finally, we now enjoy general acceptability.

Why did you say the industry was asleep?
Can you compare the way secular musicians push their works with that of gospel musicians who sing and believe miracles will popularise the song? Can you compare the quality of production of the secular with that of the gospel? Gospel artistes before didn’t consider all these things. This is why I said that we have been sleeping all these years, but now we are awake, wiser and smarter to take over the industry. The industry has a structure and we can only go far if we get used to the system. God is a God of protocols and order. The need to understand this structure is expedient, otherwise, it will become more frustrating.

How did you discover your penchant for gospel music?
 Gospel music, for me, is more than singing. It is a calling. It is a mandate to fulfill a purpose. It is my life. I am committed to the transformation of lives via the word of God and my music. I must fulfill destiny and thus actualise my passion for music.

How did the music thing start for you?
It started as a regular thing I do in the choir until I heard clearly from God that I am created for the transformation of lives via the word and music.  Having heard from God, it became a calling and I see it as a privilege to work for God.

What major sign gave you the conviction that it was truly a divine call?
 I remember that I was on three days’ fast when I received this assignment. It was a clear word from God on the second day of the fast. One of the things He told me was that I am for the transformation of lives via the word and music. He told me other things, but I cannot mention them here.

So, how has it been?
 It has been from one level of grace to another; beyond my comprehension. It is a sign that the Lord is involved. The speed I have enjoyed shows that God has engraved me for music. The ministry has grown in leaps and bound since it took off in October 2012 and I have really enjoyed God’s grace since I obeyed the call.

Did you ever have the premonition that you will become a musician?
 No, because I saw myself as a great banker and I followed that for over seven years. However, in the course of working, I discovered that it was a means to the fulfillment of my purpose on earth. Music is my main objective and banking was an enabling objective to achieve the main objective. It got to a level where I couldn’t combine both, thus I had to resign to fully face music and I have never regretted my decision.

Many have claimed to dump banking for entertainment. What do you think could be responsible for this?
 I cannot speak for others who may have same experience, but I will love you to know that passion makes one behave like a mad man. Passion makes you see what others can’t see. It makes you stupid in the eyes of others but your result cancels all insult. When you don’t have satisfaction in what you do, please move ahead. Fulfillment of one’s purpose in life is the essence of one’s existence on earth. For me, I see it as the pursuit of one’s destiny.

How will you rate yourself?
 I can’t rate myself because grace found me. Music is not about competition but impartation. Do you work and allow God bless it.

How many songs do you have to your credit?
 I have over 50 songs to my credit. My first album has 16 tracks and the new one I would release today also has 16 tracks. My video entitled: “It is You” also featured Kenny Kore, Samsong, Psalm Ebube. I have recorded many others. We will release all at the appropriate time. More inspirations are still flowing and I trust God for more divine grace. Today’s event which will mark the release of my second album will feature the likes of Samsong and Chris Morgan, Jonahs Dan and Femi Worship among others.

How do you draw inspiration?
I draw my inspiration from directly God, because sometimes I just get songs and the lyrics at a go being dropped into my spirit. I also draw inspiration from the messages of pastors which I eventually turn into a melody. Life experiences, environment and happenings around me also influence my inspiration.

You also run a salon. Is the income from gospel music not enough?
How did you know I run a salon? Well, for me, gospel music is not about making money. It is a calling and when you follow the mission, money will follow. Anyone who pursues money in this field will not last. The main reason I run a salon is based on my desire to be a productive entrepreneur, alongside being a gospel artiste.

How successful are you as a musician and an entrepreneur?
 I might not be there yet but I’m definitely not where I used to be. Grace has given speed that I can’t comprehend. I’m not the Lord Bishop of 2012 when I started, Grace has connected me greatly.

Don’t you feel threatened among the many gospel musicians in the industry?
 The sky is wide enough for all birds to fly without infringement. My star cannot stop another person’s star from shinning and same goes for any gospel musician. I can never be threatened by any gospel minister. My job is to minister and never compare myself with anyone. We are not in competition, but in the business of ministration for the transformation of lives.

How did you come about your stage name, Lord Bishop?
The name surfaced during my OND programme. People always say ‘well-done bishop’ whenever I finished ministering in songs. So, students who believed in me gave me the name Bishop. I personally added Lord to it, because a lot of people answered to ‘bishop’ when I returned for my HND. This was how the name Lord Bishop eventually surfaced. I see myself as one of the disciples of Jesus Christ. Though, I may be seen as a bishop who is not ordained.  However, I am who I am by the grace of God.  I am neither a fake nor ordained bishop. I am just an artiste that loves to be called Lord Bishop.

How do you handle female fans?
He that thinks he stand should take heed lest he falls. I have no power on my own. God has been helping me to overcome temptations. It is not easy, but He has kept me with His grace.

What was growing up like?
 I came from a humble background and a situation that looked like nothing was in stock for the future, but the grace of God found me. I grew up in Kaduna State among a family of six including my parents, two brothers and my younger sisters. I had both my primary and secondary school in Kaduna then moved to Kogi State for my higher education. I am a native of Kabba town in Kogi State.


No comments:

Post a Comment