Monday 17 August 2015

Why I prophesied that Sijuwade will become Ooni, Ebenezer Obey reveals

Evergreen music icon, Evangelist Ebenezer Obey-Fabiyi is one of the beneficiaries of Ooni Okunade Sijuwade’s large heart. In this exclusive interview with SEYI SOKOYA, the music legend went down memory lane from his first encounter with the Ooni from the 60s till date and what he gained from the relationship. Excerpts:

How and when I meet Ooni Okunade Sijuwade
I could remember vividly when I met with His Royal Majesty, Ooni Okunade Sijuwade in person in the early 60s though I have been hearing about him before I eventually met him, especially for his good heart and how he appreciates  the culture and the value of Nigeria and Africa and most importantly the Yoruba race. I have also been hearing that he was a very good lover of music and I had that impression. At a time, he was invited to an engagement where  I performed. I was introduced to him and we exchanged pleasantries. I was astonished with the way he greeted me; he treated me as if we have known each other for a very long time and right there I confirmed in me that he was a man who appreciated music. He said to me. Yes, Ebenezer Obey, I have been hearing of you; it is my pleasure meeting you. Please, keep on the good work. I prostrated and said thank you sir. Our meeting and the things he did on that day made me discover that he  was a kind of person who had a  special heart. I think because of the fact that he was a man of culture and tradition he knew the value and importance of musicians. He appreciated me so much and sent money to me on the stage for about three time before he left the occasion. What I will never forget in my life was that he called for me and said to me with a cheerful heart that: ‘Ebenezer keep it up, awa n gbadun ee (we are really enjoying you)’. His word of encouragement was so heavy in my heart, because I never expected such from someone I met for the first time. I was shocked to have received such complement from some of his calibre, though he was not yet on the throne then, but a well respected prince and a business tycoon.

The major attraction between the two of us

I would say that our first meeting opened door for a successful relationship. We eventually became closed, because I see him as a father and a mentor. We later met abroad when my band was on a UK tour. He was always made the chairman of the student union societies and other associations, such as associations of Ibadan, Egba, Ife and other different societies of the Yoruba race. The students in London were united to gather themselves together being away from home. All these associations had Ooni as their chairman and we usually meet at the events. He also extended the same good heart while  in the UK; I always visit him when I travel to London. I cannot easily forget our relationship, because he extended his large heart from Nigeria to overseas. We always meet at weekends when I perform for these associations. This spurred me to maintain my relationship for him and also led me to wax the first record entitled ‘Obey in London’  which I did for him in 1969.  

I prophesied that he would become a king even when there was no vacancy.
It was like I was given the vision from above. He was always carrying himself with dignity; not as a proud person, but in a humble manner. The way he dresses and does things were also signs of his chances to earn him the royal seat. He never underrates anyone. If Kabiyesi wanted to greet you; he will do that from the bottom of his heart. He will let you realise that you are important. His way of life and approach are totally different. These are the things I saw, coupled with the fact that I knew that he would definitely become a king. This is the more reason I did a second record when it now came to a reality. I said “Oro ti mo so lojo si, o se tabi ko se oo; o se Sijuwade…” I was just happy that what I said came to pass and it was nothing other than the way the man carried himself.

Rewarding relationship with Ooni

Honestly, it was rewarding. My relationship with His Royal Majesty was really rewarding. The first and second records were some of the rewards. He sent for me immediately this prophesy came to pass. This also made me to perform at his coronation ceremony. Not only that; I am always blessed with words of wisdom whenever I visit him. He would beckon on his chiefs to join us as at his garden whenever I pay him a visit. His words of wisdom and the way he kept the relationship have been useful to me.

His weakness that was and how I coped with it

Somebody like me must not be looking for someone’s weakness. A Yoruba proverb says: “A child cannot know or must not search for the secret of elderly persons”. The only thing to do is to admire and respect somebody of that nature. He is the father of the people and as for me, I don’t look for his weakness, because I never had such thought. I was only appreciating every good thing in him. Even aside the Ooni, I always love to look for the good side of everyone I come across.

How I rate his reign as the Ooni of Ife
To me, his reign as the Ooni of Ife has brought progress not only to Ife people, but to Nigeria and the Yoruba race. He also kept his relationship with Cuba, because of the fact that they had identified their root from Ile-Ife. He was a great man and I respect him for that.

If Ooni Okunade Sijuwade was not a king what else he could have been good at
He was a successful person before he ascended the throne. I said in the record I did for that “Ohun amu torun wa oya to si aye, a to ba tele lo ba Olubuse”. This means he deserves to be a king, in fact, it was clear that he has been predestined to become a king, because he was  a successful business tycoon of an international repute and was like a king even before there was a vacancy. A part from the fact that he was a prince, to me, I always describe him as a king. Though he always carries himself as a prince at his early age, but it was obvious that he would become a king.

My most memorable experience with the Ooni
They are enormous, as I said earlier; my first encounter with him was unforgettable. Also, the relationship we kept had been awesome. He also played a major role when I came into the ministry. He embraced and supported the Ife City-Wide crusade when I went to inform him that I was in the ministry. He accommodated about 200 members of my ministry for a week in his hotel without collecting a dime. He told me personally that I have taken a very good step to serve God and that he had no doubt about it because he could see the traces from my songs and also promised to support me.
 

What I would always remember him for
His memories and words of wisdom will always linger on in my heart. Personally, I will really miss him a lot. Ooni was a kind-hearted man who is always interested in peace. He lived a very good life and had  also left a great vacuum. I respect him so much. I know he will be at peace with his ancestors now.

My last moment with him, or last

The last time we met face-to-face was at the 99th birthday celebration of Mama HID Awolowo. He was lively and very happy to rejoice with the Yeye Odua at the event in Ikenne. As usual he spent quality time with Mama as well as danced with her on the stage. I never thought that would be the last time I will perform and sing his praises. In fact, I thought we would also meet at the up coming 100th birthday party of Mama later in the year but God has His own way of doing things. It is painful to lose Ooni at this time, but we thank God that he lived a fulfilled life before his time. As humans, we love to remain together with our loved ones, but the reality is that we will all leave this world someday.

What went through my mind on hearing the news of his transition

It was a rude shock, at first I did not believe it, but later took it with a heavy heart that Ooni has joined his ancestors. To Nigerians, we have indeed lost a father and to the Yoruba race, we have lost an important royal father who was the first born of Odua according to history.

No comments:

Post a Comment